Status
Not open for further replies.

janst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hello I am new to the forum. I am now the proud owner of two Hermanns tortoise, they are about 3 years old. They are class pets to 29 ten year olds who are fascinated by them. We live in the north of England. Our tortoise live in an enclosure 2ft by 3ft and I would like to know what to do to it to keep them happy and entertained.

Thanks janst

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! How long have they been the class pets?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Hello and welcome. Those are very lucky ten-year olds to have tortoises as class pets. :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Janst!

janst

5 Year Member
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! How long have they been the class pets?

Hi we have had them for about three months, the children named them Happy and Lola. We are looking after them as part of a conservation programme with one of our local colleges. The kids love them they are fascinated by them.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Hello Janst and welcome to the forums. I love the idea of class pets! I still fondly remember our class rabbit in elementary school and how our family happily took him in every summer during vacation. There is tons of material on the forums about proper care, diet, substrate.
If your school has some land around it, I would see about portioning off a piece to make an outside enclosure as a learning experience for the kids. You could do design basics (each child drawing a layout, with hide, soaks, obstacles, and in the best position to utilize the sun), building basics (digging trenches and laying in wood or brick walls, outside wood enclosure based on possible predators, gardening (have groups of students choose an edible plant, study it, plant it and grow it), then all kinds of tort studies (prefererced areas, routines, growth), etc etc
There's just so many possibilities and all hands on teaching like that sticks for life, at least it did for me.
Keep us updated with how they are doing with the class. I'll let the more experienced members handle detailed care :)

janst

5 Year Member
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Lasciels Toy said:
Hello Janst and welcome to the forums. I love the idea of class pets! I still fondly remember our class rabbit in elementary school and how our family happily took him in every summer during vacation. There is tons of material on the forums about proper care, diet, substrate.
If your school has some land around it, I would see about portioning off a piece to make an outside enclosure as a learning experience for the kids. You could do design basics (each child drawing a layout, with hide, soaks, obstacles, and in the best position to utilize the sun), building basics (digging trenches and laying in wood or brick walls, outside wood enclosure based on possible predators, gardening (have groups of students choose an edible plant, study it, plant it and grow it), then all kinds of tort studies (prefererced areas, routines, growth), etc etc
There's just so many possibilities and all hands on teaching like that sticks for life, at least it did for me.
Keep us updated with how they are doing with the class. I'll let the more experienced members handle detailed care :)

Hi we have designed the new table I will post a photo as soon as we get Harry and Lola settled, once our British weather warms up we will decide where the best place to have an outdoor area should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.