Status
Not open for further replies.

pinhead

5 Year Member
It looks like you have a very informed and helpful group. I am thinking of getting my son a tortoise of some sort. He wants one that gets bigger than the box turtles we currently have. I know some make better pets than others and I want some personality as well. I live in eastern Virginia and we keep the box turtles out side all year. He also has a B/W Tegue that is over 3 feet long so taking care of a large tortoise is not much of a concern to me other than picking a species that can stand the humidity outside during the summer months and have a personality that will keep the attention of my son. Overwintering inside is not an issue and a baby would be raised inside until it was large enough to safely go outside in its own pen. He thinks he need a Silcata and I am leaning towards a Leopard or Redfoot. Thanks in advance Eric

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.
If you plan on overwintering it, a sulcata is probably not the best choice, they get large, a leo or red foot would probably be a better choice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D A leopard is a great tort. They get just big enough, but not destructive or temperamental like a some Sulcata's can be. Good luck in your decision making. Also, we love pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Eric:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. As babies they both need humidity. As adults the redfoot will probably do better in your environment.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome to the forum! I'd recommend a redfoot. They don't get huge and are very personable species that has relatively easy care.

pinhead

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the insight. I am still on the fence about which tort to get. I want to make the right choice. I am leaning towards a leopard just not ready to pull the trigger. Thanks Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.