Status
Not open for further replies.

Lori

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, Just joined and wanted to introduce myself and my tortoise family.

I've only been a tortoise mom for a year, but went into it with everything I've got. I own 12 torts. Tank is a 70 lb sulcata male- ruler of all and loves to come inside and hang out with us. Sandy just joined our group already in gravid and we are eagerly awaiting the eggs. She and Tank share one yard. Our other yard belongs to Dozer, Shelly, Kona, and Beemer. All these sulcatas are about 25-30 lbs., except Beemer who is a female leopard about 3 years old, still very shy.

As I adopted all of these tortoises as adults or sub-adults, only Tank, Sandy and Shelly are truly social and seek us out for attention and pets. The others are still somewhat shy but are getting curious, even coming in the house from time to time. I also have 3 sulcata yearlings and 2 leopard yearlings that are a true delight. We modified an old Brio train table into a tortoise table so they are front and center in the living room. Two of them in particular (Pebbles and Bam-Bam) show much promise and enjoy interacting with us. Penny is the tiny sulcata who is somewhat shy and the two leopards are so shy we rarely see their faces except during meal time. But they are all voracious and growing well.

We are lucky to live on one acre and are relandscaping our yard for the tortoises. Reseeding the lawn with Bermuda instead of fescue, planting 50 tropical hibiscus throughout the property and spineless cactus pad trees. We plan on doing this forever and our children are already picking out which ones they will inherit. We have even considered purchasing an aldabra, but are still in the research process on that, but am on a waiting list for the next group of hatchlings.

Oh, yes, and we have other things too. Four children, 2 still at home, one homeschooled, 2 cockatoos, 3 dogs, 4 cats, 1 cockatiel, chickens, roosters, turkey hen who lays an egg worth a four egg omelet. My husband is recent retired law enforcement officer, disabled parapalegic from an on duty motorcycle accident, and I am a real estate broker on leave of absence. We delight in our odd Wild Kingdom and our friend's looks of "are you crazy?"

Nice to meet you all.

Lori

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
wow what a story! welcome to tfo, lori! sounds like you have quite the menagerie there! i can't wait to see photos of your setups. (esp the brio table!)
glad to have you here!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow! You sure did jumped into it with both feet! Welcome!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello and welcome to TF what a great story, Show us some pictures soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.