Jro1959

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hi!
My name is Jeanette and I am a new Russian Tortoise I named Tippy. I don’t know it’s gender or age. I am a little concerned because Tippy has 2 very small chips on its shell. And I don’t know if I should be concerned or not. I am enclosing a pic of the chips. In the pic he is getting a little soak. Thank you for all your help

image.jpg

Reactions: Ink

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO Jeanette!

This is a great place to learn about caring for Tippy. I live with a Russian Tortoise as well, and really enjoy his personality.

I looked at the picture you attached and could not see anything that would worry me on Chili (my Russian); I think lots of them have pretty rough shells from their previous life in the wild (many seem to be wild caught).

I think feeding yours a proper and varied diet, along with regular soaks and an enclosure that has good temps and lighting and space will yield a happy and healthy tortoise.

Check out the species specific forum for more information about living with Tippy, and then come back with any questions you might have.

Again, welcome!

Jamie

Quadro

SC
Hi!
My name is Jeanette and I am a new Russian Tortoise I named Tippy. I don’t know it’s gender or age. I am a little concerned because Tippy has 2 very small chips on its shell. And I don’t know if I should be concerned or not. I am enclosing a pic of the chips. In the pic he is getting a little soak. Thank you for all your help
Welcome very cute tort you have there !!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Welcome from a fellow grumpy Russian chef! They are demanding but so lovable! If I want animal attention I just crinkle a bag and I have dogs to choose from!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeanette, and welcome to the Forum!

Russian tortoises suffer plenty of dings and bruises during the capture/shipping process. Your two little white spots are nothing to worry about.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Hi Gabriel. Nice looking leopard. That's him in your avatar photo right? You can post your very own introduction thread if you want, helps to share your photos and for people greet you personally.