Location (City and/or State)
NC
This is Willy, he’s 3yrs old and ornery as heck. Just got him in August, but he’s already getting used to us. He’s 14” now and about 19lbs. IMG_1618.jpg

ben awes

5 Year Member
Welcome, and great photo! I've got a 5 year old, but never knew they could be lap tortoises! Where did he come from and what part of the country do you live in?

Ben

Bee62

Germany
Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum.
Your Willy is a beautiful tortoise and he doesen`t look so ornery in your pic.
I am sure we all here want to see more pics of you and Willy if you may upload more.:)

NC
Welcome, and great photo! I've got a 5 year old, but never knew they could be lap tortoises! Where did he come from and what part of the country do you live in?

Ben

Got him from Florida Tortoise and Iguana, he’s 3 years old. I’m in North Carolina. I had been soaking him and just sat him on my daughters lap so she gave him a snack. He was imported so hasn’t had a lot of close attention. It will take a little bit for him to get used to being touched. As you guys know, food is a great ice breaker.IMG_1432.jpg

NC
Hello and Welcome. Nice Aldabra. You do keep him in his own enclosure and not just roaming the dangerous and unhealthy floors right?

No, he and the dog sleep together and keep the floors clean, really. Thanks for the welcome.

NC
Yep really! You wouldn't believe what some people will think they can do with a tortoise. Stick around and you'll see why I asked!

Thanks for caring though, your right it’s amazing what some people put reptiles through. Willy’s got his own enclosure in the garage during the winter that’s fully heated. It’s getting down to single digits tonight so he’ll be happy in the 95 degree hot spot.

NC

Ben

Where did you get yours? What size and weight is it? Willy is 14 inches and around 20lbs. He’s grown 1 inch since I got him in August, which should be normal.

Kittivan

Chicago
Welcone! Willy looks awesome and healthy. I can’t wait til my Kaci gets that big. We love pictures so please upload more when you can!

NC
The record low temps meant the end of the fescue that I fed him everyday. After some scouring of this great forum, I went with Orchard pellets that I soak in water. Thankfully after a few days he dove in and seems to enjoy it. My question is, can he not have all he can eat everyday since it’s same as grazing?

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome. !
My theory on feeding is they can have all they can / want to eat of the good stuff. What I mean is - weeds, grass & leaves, I only limit things like Mazuri, cactus pads, squash, bell peppers, pumpkin, etc.

The reason I space those out is because I want her to get the majority of her food from free grazing. She would fill up on just cactus pads alone if I let her.

I’m of the opinion you cannot overfeed as long as you limit the richer foods. Especially limit any fruit , or animal protein.

Mine gets into the dog food bowl sometimes on my lanai , I let her have a few bites but them move it. She loves that stuff !

Some think the tortoise will pyramid with too much food. I don’t think that is the cause. It has been amply demonstrated that fast growth ( lots of food ) without adaquate hydration & humidity produces pyramiding. I still use a calcium supplement once a week.

Room to roam providing exercise is also important. They need to walk to keep those legs strong to carry the weight. Rather than just setting a pile of food in front of her , I put my CupCake out in a large grassed enclosed area & put a few of her favorites around so she has to search for them. She walks & grazes 1/2 the day.