XSpeedyX

Hi everyone I am a new member. My tortoise speedy is between 10-15 years old, he is a Russian tortoise. I have only had him for a year.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me as I am getting a little bit worried. Speedy hasn't been eating a lot as he normally does also his behaviour has changed as well. He used to always want to come out and eat a lot. At first I thought it might because I have changed his bedding from soil to pellet. so I have changed it back thinking he would be happy. He still goes under his light for a bit eat a little and then go back to bed for most of the day.

Not sure what to do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

Well, tortoises don't appreciate change, so maybe it was the substrate change. Another reason they don't eat is because they aren't warm enough.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, don't go back to the pellet isn't not an appropriate substrate for tortoises. They will never come across it in the wild.

XSpeedyX

this is his enclosure, I have also just brought a new table for him as now its getting warmer I thought it be better.

Attachments

• speedy.jpg
    speedy.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 20

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What is the fluorescent tube light you have - is it for UVb? Can your tortoise get directly under the light or is it directly above his large hide (I can't tell if there is a space behind the house for the tortoise to get under the light)?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi your enclosure looks far too small for a tort that age. It needs a minimum of 4' x 8' (1.5 x 2.2 metres)

Your substrate needs to hold moisture and be 3-4" (8-10cm) deep. Pellet is not suitable. Coco coir or fine grade orchid bark, cheaper from a garden store than a pet store, make great substrate. You need to take the decor out, tip water in from a jug and mix it thoroughly with your hands so all the substrate is evenly damp.

Most important of all the temperatures need to be correct. It must be 95-100F (35-37C) directly under that basking lamp.

Your tort won't be active until it's warm enough and feels safe.

I suggest you read the TFO care guides if you haven't already

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

XSpeedyX

Thank you for everyone comments. I will read it, I have google and spoke to speedy vets, it does confusing when I been to reptile shop and told me something totally different. I just want to make sure I am looking after him correctly. The vet said the enclosure is fine. The temperature is around 30 so maybe I need to make it a bit warmer. However saying that he has been fine before its just when I changed his bedding and he did have a worming stuff from the vets.

I have changed his bedding back and I have got another table for him which is a lot a bigger from what he has now. Speedy still not eating as much but has been out today and been eating the weeds, he has been more active. Also does anyone know how many times I should be bathing speedy. The vet said once a week should be fine.

Thanks again for everyone help. Will post some pictures of Speedy soon.

Rachael403

NE, USA
Unfortunately, pet stores do not typically give the right information.. thats why this forum has been so important to many of our members. Pet stores WANT you to buy their cages, their lights, their substrates, etc. to make more profit. Most of the time they do not get enough training, and very little to none of the RIGHT training to give you the proper information that you need.

The members here are great and will help you get things setup properly for your tortoise.