New member with Russian Tortoise in need of home

Rascal13

5 Year Member
Hello,
We have a Russian Tortoise named Rascal. We purchased him at the Aquarium Depot in Randallstown, Maryland back in July of 2005. He was a gift to my nephew who has now gone to College and can no longer care for him. We are looking for a good home for him with an expert caretaker of Tortoises. He lives in a small pen - the ZooMed Tortoise House. He has a Mega Ray 100watt Basking heat lamp and water and feed bowls. All come with him if needed but we hope to find him a larger home. He lives on a diet of mixed baby lettuces and kale and radicchio and grated zucchini and once in a while grated carrot. His favorite lettuce is the Radichio and he loves zucchini too. We are hoping for help from the experts here to help place him in a new home. We are looking to have him adopted not sold. Thank you all for your consideration it is much appreciated.
Kathleen in Maryland

Attachments

• Rascal basking.jpg
    Rascal basking.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 139
  • Rascal's house.jpg
    Rascal's house.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 130

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kathleen, and welcome to the Forum!

I hope you will be able to place the tortoise with one of our members here on the Forum. Good luck!

Shellru

5 Year Member
Hi Kathleen

Your situation sounds very similar to the one I expect to have soon. My Grandson has a Russian Box Tortoise and his family will be moving soon to a smaller home and they don't know if they can keep him. Ninja is a really sweet little fella and also comes with his interior habitat. We won't know for sure whether there will be room for him when they move because they have not found a rental yet, but I am hoping that someone on the Forum would love to adopt him and give him a more caring environment. They live in Torrance, California. Let me know if you have any success with your adoption.

Thanks
Shellru

Rascal13 said:
Hello,
We have a Russian Tortoise named Rascal. We purchased him at the Aquarium Depot in Randallstown, Maryland back in July of 2005. He was a gift to my nephew who has now gone to College and can no longer care for him. We are looking for a good home for him with an expert caretaker of Tortoises. He lives in a small pen - the ZooMed Tortoise House. He has a Mega Ray 100watt Basking heat lamp and water and feed bowls. All come with him if needed but we hope to find him a larger home. He lives on a diet of mixed baby lettuces and kale and radicchio and grated zucchini and once in a while grated carrot. His favorite lettuce is the Radichio and he loves zucchini too. We are hoping for help from the experts here to help place him in a new home. We are looking to have him adopted not sold. Thank you all for your consideration it is much appreciated.
Kathleen in Maryland

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is no Russian box tortoise, that I know of. They are either a Russian tortoise or a Box turtle. Very different care, so be sure of what it is if you are looking to take him in or rehome him.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Kathleen and Shellru. I wish I was in the market for Russians, buy I have three sulcatas and would like to keep that species. I hear and read that Russians are so sweet when alone. The don't do too well with others. Best to you both, a f hope you'll stay with us as members even if it's to learn about other species.

Rascal13

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi Kathleen, and welcome to the Forum!

I hope you will be able to place the tortoise with one of our members here on the Forum. Good luck!

Thank you Yvonne.

Rascal13

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Hi Kathleen and Shellru. I wish I was in the market for Russians, buy I have three sulcatas and would like to keep that species. I hear and read that Russians are so sweet when alone. The don't do too well with others. Best to you both, a f hope you'll stay with us as members even if it's to learn about other species.

Thank you Sibi and Shellru too.

sopo

5 Year Member
So Central OK
Well, I hope you both find great homes for them. Wish I was closer, after I brought my leo home, my daughter and her husband are wanting to get their first tort and considering a russian. We're all in OK though so a bit far from either of you. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll find them great homes.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Kathleen, I have a group of 6 Russian tortoises and would be glad to take rascal if you'd like. I am located in glenmoore, pa. (Southeastern pa) PM me if interested. Thanks!

Rascal13

5 Year Member
jeffbens0n said:
Kathleen, I have a group of 6 Russian tortoises and would be glad to take rascal if you'd like. I am located in glenmoore, pa. (Southeastern pa) PM me if interested. Thanks!

Hi Jeff,
Rascal has been alone for years. Are Russians better in groups then? I have heard they can be aggressive. But if they are okay in groups then that would be great for him.
Thank you for the offer it is very much appreciated.
Kathleen

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
They do well in groups when they have enough space, which mine do. I keep them outdoors in the summer and in a heated tortoise shed in the winter. I separate the males from the females in the winter and haven't had any problems with aggression.

Rascal13

5 Year Member
jeffbens0n said:
They do well in groups when they have enough space, which mine do. I keep them outdoors in the summer and in a heated tortoise shed in the winter. I separate the males from the females in the winter and haven't had any problems with aggression.

Hello Jeff,
It sounds like an ideal environment for Rascal. Can you come to Maryland for him?
Kathleen

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Hi Kathleen,

I'm having trouble with the PM system and my messages don't appear to he going through to you.

Send me an email and we can figure it out from there.

[email protected]