New Member! Torts in the PNW?

fern+fl0ra

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, USA
Hi all,

I have been lurking the past few months and finally got around to making myself a profile. I had a 3-toed box turtle when I was a child, and lately I've been itching to add a tortoise to our small family. I'd love to hear which type you recommend!

I am hoping to adopt a tortoise. I have been in contact with NW Tortoise Rescue here in Washington (state) and they seem to have a lot of Russians at this time. The Russians they have up for adoption were from the wild-caught pet industry, some of them had poor living conditions (ex. living in a fish tank or have shell damage from heat lamps being too close.)

A couple of questions:
Q1: Will tortoises from the wild-caught pet industry have more of a need to escape and go back to where they hatched? I don't want them to feel like I'm keeping them prisoners!

Q2: What types of tortoises can handle the mild temps of the PNW? I have room to create both outdoor and indoor enclosures, but would obviously prefer for my future tort to live outside most of the time because I've heard that's the best habitat for them. Besides Russians, I really like Sulcatas and Red Foots. What do you guys think?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
If I lived in your region I would look into tortoises that hibernate. Such as Russians, Hermans, and Greeks. Sulcatas get large and while people do keep them in your region, you have to make reasonable accommodations due to their size.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

I have been lurking the past few months and finally got around to making myself a profile. I had a 3-toed box turtle when I was a child, and lately I've been itching to add a tortoise to our small family. I'd love to hear which type you recommend!

I am hoping to adopt a tortoise. I have been in contact with NW Tortoise Rescue here in Washington (state) and they seem to have a lot of Russians at this time. The Russians they have up for adoption were from the wild-caught pet industry, some of them had poor living conditions (ex. living in a fish tank or have shell damage from heat lamps being too close.)

A couple of questions:
Q1: Will tortoises from the wild-caught pet industry have more of a need to escape and go back to where they hatched? I don't want them to feel like I'm keeping them prisoners!

Q2: What types of tortoises can handle the mild temps of the PNW? I have room to create both outdoor and indoor enclosures, but would obviously prefer for my future tort to live outside most of the time because I've heard that's the best habitat for them. Besides Russians, I really like Sulcatas and Red Foots. What do you guys think?

Hello and welcome!

Q1: WC or CB won't matter after a few weeks in their new enclosure. Only humans contemplate things like "prisoners". Tortoises are much more simplistic.
Q2: Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, money and effort put into it. We have a member who keeps sulcatas in Alaska. Compromises must be made for any species in captivity, even if you live within the native range of your species, like people here with DTs that live in the desert. What you must consider is how much time, money and effort you wish to spend to maintain a tortoise in suitable conditions. It will not be easy or cheap to maintain a sulcata in the PNW, but it can be done. One of the three species that Gus suggested would be much easier, but maybe those don't appeal to you. To maintain a tropical species like a RF in your area will require a room sized enclosure that is kept warm and humid all winter long. Better get a greater for those winter power outages too. Its all a question of how far you are willing to go…

Ask more questions!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise forum. :)
As has been said, anything is possible with the correct set up.

fern+fl0ra

Iowa, USA
If I lived in your region I would look into tortoises that hibernate. Such as Russians, Hermans, and Greeks. Sulcatas get large and while people do keep them in your region, you have to make reasonable accommodations due to their size.
Thanks, Gus! I'll research those types!

fern+fl0ra

Iowa, USA
Hello and welcome!

Q1: WC or CB won't matter after a few weeks in their new enclosure. Only humans contemplate things like "prisoners". Tortoises are much more simplistic.
Q2: Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, money and effort put into it. We have a member who keeps sulcatas in Alaska. Compromises must be made for any species in captivity, even if you live within the native range of your species, like people here with DTs that live in the desert. What you must consider is how much time, money and effort you wish to spend to maintain a tortoise in suitable conditions. It will not be easy or cheap to maintain a sulcata in the PNW, but it can be done. One of the three species that Gus suggested would be much easier, but maybe those don't appeal to you. To maintain a tropical species like a RF in your area will require a room sized enclosure that is kept warm and humid all winter long. Better get a greater for those winter power outages too. Its all a question of how far you are willing to go…

Ask more questions!
Thanks, Tom! All of this information is really helpful. I'll look more into the species that Gus had listed. It's reassuring that they don't feel like prisoners! I've always been concerned that pets feel that way. I just care about them all so much! Haha! It's so great that there is a community that can help educate me along the way!