New Member, stumbled across site

tortoiselover46

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Good afternoon,

I was initially searching the web trying to find out if my 2 year old German Rottweiler could actually sense that our 11+ year old beloved Russian Tortoise Fred has passed away, and I stumbled across this forum. Since Sunday, when it was confirmed Fred died, she has been going over to his tank sniffing and whimpering. We're all so sad. I expected Fred to outlive us all. I already miss him so much. Tears are forming as I type this. One day I will get another Tort but for now I will mourn my Fred Fred.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Greetings! & a sad welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your visits

tortoiselover46

New York
Greetings! & a sad welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your visits
Thank you! So far I am. I wish I would've found this forum much sooner when I first noticed my Fred wasn't acting his usual self. I made a vet appt but he didn't even make it. When I picked him up out of his tank to take him to the vet, I discovered he had died. In just two days.... Really sad!

Maggie T

Los Angeles
Thank you! So far I am. I wish I would've found this forum much sooner when I first noticed my Fred wasn't acting his usual self. I made a vet appt but he didn't even make it. When I picked him up out of his tank to take him to the vet, I discovered he had died. In just two days.... Really sad!

I’m sorry for your loss. You did the best you could. Do you know what caused it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

That's so sad about Fred. Do you have any idea what was wrong with him?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and condolences. I can imagine that having Fred for over 11 yrs you have some great memories.

tortoiselover46

New York
Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

That's so sad about Fred. Do you have any idea what was wrong with him?
Unfortunately no. I noticed he wasn't going to the bathroom (eliminating) and wouldn't eat. He LOVED to eat his romaine lettuce topped with fresh, sliced carrots. Normally after letting him "soak" in his tub, I would put him back in his tank and he would get to eating. This time he just looked at the food and went back under his log. I made a vet appointment and it was scheduled for this past Sunday. He didn't make it.:-(.. Since, I don't know exactly when he passed, they said it didn't make sense to do an autopsy because the tissue inside was probably already deteriorated if it's over 24 hours. I know he went under his log on Thursday, moved to the side of the tank on Friday. So, he died between Friday and Sunday. Of course, I will forever wonder if it was "old" age or if he got sick and I didn't recognize it.