New member, owner of Russian tortoise

Rocket_FA_SulSkata

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenixville, PA 19460
Hello all!

My name is Sarah (Ze/Hir), from Phoenixville, PA. My wife and I are the owners of a very grumpy approx. 11 year old Russian tortoise named Alfred Pennyworth.
I have just joined and have been lurking on this lovely forum for a little while; thought I might introduce myself.
We were concerned lately that there may be something wrong with Alfred's shell, despite having taken him to a vet about a week prior, who also owns Russians.
The vet said he looked great in all areas, but we just wanted to run it by you folks, as it appears to be raised in places. Is this normal?
Thank you for running this forum; it is clear that the community is very knowledgeable, and I appreciate being able to access an incredible resource like this.
Nice to meet you all!

IMG_1775.JPGIMG_1991.jpgIMG_1996.JPG.jpgIMG_1994.JPG.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

Alfred Pennyworth is a great-looking Russian.

I'd give him an occasional soak in warm water up to his carapace, with some splashing... it might help him finish shedding some of the skin/scales on his face/head/neck.

This is a great place to learn about caring for your tort, and to ask questions in a friendly, helpful, and supportive environment.

Jamie

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi welcome your have done well ...looks healthy and smooth shell but it does look a touch dry . The beak is overgrown you can see the overhang. Please either find a reptile vet or a reptile shop to see if they have experience to trim beak and nails. This will make him more comfortable.
Ongoing get a terracotta flower pot base to put the fresh leave and food and this will act like a nail emery board and trim down the beak as it eats. Ensure there are some rocks in the enclose to help with nails.

Please confirm if you do regular warm water shallow soaks as this has 2 benefits hydration and deficating! If not try to introduce a 30 mins soak in a high sided container.

Rocket_FA_SulSkata

Phoenixville, PA 19460
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
Yes, my wife loves Batman, so she thought of it immediately upon seeing his face haha.
I will admit the first picture was a bit older; following the appointment, his beak and nails are now trimmed.
We soak him twice a week about an hour each time in shallow, warm water, and he does defecate and produce urates each time. He always eats well.
We'll be sure to splash him a bit to aid with his shed.

Glad to know his shell looks good; he was originally wild caught unfortunately, as we found out later.
We have been feeding him on a slate rock, however I will get a terracotta base and give that a try.
Thank you all again so much!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello all!

My name is Sarah (Ze/Hir), from Phoenixville, PA. My wife and I are the owners of a very grumpy approx. 11 year old Russian tortoise named Alfred Pennyworth.
I have just joined and have been lurking on this lovely forum for a little while; thought I might introduce myself.
We were concerned lately that there may be something wrong with Alfred's shell, despite having taken him to a vet about a week prior, who also owns Russians.
The vet said he looked great in all areas, but we just wanted to run it by you folks, as it appears to be raised in places. Is this normal?
Thank you for running this forum; it is clear that the community is very knowledgeable, and I appreciate being able to access an incredible resource like this.
Nice to meet you all!

View attachment 336790View attachment 336796View attachment 336797View attachment 336795
Nice looking tortoise. The front of the beak needs to be trimmed and the shell appears quite dry. I would recommend soaking the tortoise in lukewarm water for about 20 minutes daily or at least every other day.

Ldionese

Colorado
Hello all!

Nice to meet you all!

View attachment 336790View attachment 336796View attachment 336797View attachment 336795