New Member, New Russian Tortoise Introducing Myself

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Thank you everyone! I got a red basking bulb, but the one for daylight is coiled. I will return it tomorrow!!! I will also get a smaller water dish and return the one I purchased!!! Thank you so much!!! Everyone!!! Great advice, and I am eager to learn!!!
Just get a 6 inch terra cotta plant saucers. The ones that go under post. Wal-Mart has them for about a dollar.

Bridget

He still hasn't eaten. He had a nice soak today and was active for about 20 minutes but ignoring food. Any recommendations for what vegetables to offer him besides the greens??? Thank you.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't see very well and it's hard for me to tell in that picture, my female talks her little tail to the side sometimes. So that doesn't always say. The males tail is usually much longer than the females to elbow.
They don't really eat vegetables besides greens. You can try cactus, I scrape the spines off myself. An occasional cucumber because it has lots of water, I have also heard of people squeezing cucumber juice on top of other greens to get the tortoise to eat it. very occasionally a carrot, No fruit at all. You can try spring mix, collard greens, mustard greens, and dive, escarole, radish tops, dandelion greens are especially popular :) since Romain is often a favorite you can mix it all together torn up in small pieces to get him to eat other things besides Romain. It is not usually necessary to tear things into small pieces though, they can easily handle it not torn up. Things like kale and spinach can be given occasionally.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
What are the temps in his enclosure? Basking area, warm side, cool side and night lows. Temps are important for digestion. If he is not warm enough, he will not eat.

Bridget

He is being active today but still not eating. 90 on warm side and 70 on cool.

Bridget

He is exploring a little bit. He enjoyed his soak. He's been active most of the day today. I saw him take water, but no food yet.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Some tortoises seem to take a while to adapt to their new homes and will not eat for the first few days. Tidgy was like this, but once she started, there was no stopping her! As long as she is warm enough and drinking she will get used to her new environment and then she should eat. Try putting carrot juice or the juice from crushed plants and herbs in her water so that when she drinks she gets some vitamins and goodness.
As a last resort it may be necessary to force feed him, which is possible, but not recommended except as a last resort.
Also, hopefully, he may have been having a nibble while you're not looking.
Give him some space, so he can get used to his territory and don't handle him too much. I'm sure he'll be fine, these things take time.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Sorry, thinking of my little girl so said 'she' when I meant 'he' for your VLAD.
And he's a handsome chap, for sure. Welcome to you both.

Bridget

VLAD finally ate today!!! He ate some snow peas and romaine!!! He is increasingly active every day over the last three. He enjoys his soaks and let's me pet him!! My son in law is building him a ten x ten outdoor enclosure for when the weather breaks. He seems to be adjusting. I was so happy to see him eat today and walking around quite a bit. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
VLAD finally ate today!!! He ate some snow peas and romaine!!! He is increasingly active every day over the last three. He enjoys his soaks and let's me pet him!! My son in law is building him a ten x ten outdoor enclosure for when the weather breaks. He seems to be adjusting. I was so happy to see him eat today and walking around quite a bit. :)
That's great. It sounds like he's beginning to settle in now. Try more leafy greens and less vegetables. If the dandelion start blooming in your area pick some of those, flowers and leaves. Once he gets out side you will see a whole new tortoise probably. Plant some of the Russian tortoise seed mix from tortoise supply.com in his enclosure and then you won't have to feed him all summer. He will graze on that stuff. You can also grow indoors for winter. Congratulations on him finally starting to eat :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Most good news.
I can see the joy you are now getting from the little fellow as he gets settled in.
Well done.

Bridget

Thanks everyone!!! It made me so happy that he is adjusting! My granddaughter, Zach's 2 year old, calls him a "baby turtle" and loves watching him! She was a little scared when she met him for the first time yesterday, but then I showed her pictures in a book of a Russian Tortoise, and she started calling him a baby turtle and singing to him in his terrarium. :). So happy he ate on the day she met him. A good sign.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks everyone!!! It made me so happy that he is adjusting! My granddaughter, Zach's 2 year old, calls him a "baby turtle" and loves watching him! She was a little scared when she met him for the first time yesterday, but then I showed her pictures in a book of a Russian Tortoise, and she started calling him a baby turtle and singing to him in his terrarium. :). So happy he ate on the day she met him. A good sign.
Lovely story