New Member Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hey Everyone!

My name is Matt and I'm located in Western PA in a little town called Ebensburg. I'm in academics and commute daily to Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I've been keeping and studying reptiles for quite sometime now and specialize primarily in the genus Cyclura within the Iguanidae family. I've decided recently that I want to expand more into tortoises and stumbled upon this site. I currently own an African Spurred Tortoise and some Redfoots, but am looking at keeping some other species.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to ask!

Best,

Matt

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi Matt! Welcome to our family, also known as TFO. :D What was it about the sulcata and red-footed tortoises that caused you to try those species first?

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
Hi Matt, welcome! Pictures please:) How old are your torts and how long have you had them?

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thank you very much everyone :) I'm glad to be part of the family!

Jacqui, to answer your question, I kind of just had an opportunity to get them and decided to go for it. A breeder friend of mine down in the Florida Keys raises Galapagos Tortoises and we'd periodically talk about them when we weren't talking about Cycluras. Out of the blue one day he had told me that he had Sulcatas, Redfoots, Yellowfoots, and a few other species laying eggs. I had always wanted a Tortoise and was delighted to find out that he bred so many different kinds. I had read one time prior to this that Sulcatas seem to have the best personalities and a lot of people say that Redfoots come in a close second. Remembering that read I figured oh why not and purchased a few.

That's pretty much how that worked out haha.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thanks again :) I will definitely post some pics in the near future. I'm in the process of buying a new cameras as we speak. Mine bummed out on me finally about a week ago so bear with me for about a week and I'll get them up!

I've only had them for about a month. I've taken care of Russian tortoises before but neither of these guys. I just moved into a new place with a large yard that's kept trimmed but has all "weed" type grass in it. Figured it would be an awesome environment to let them roam around in as they grow.

They are actually only Hatchlings right now, only a couple inches long I'd say. Gorgeous little babies though for sure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you finding them as full of personality as you thought? Which one is currently seeming the one with the most?

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
ALDABRAMAN said:

Thank you very much!

Jacqui said:
Are you finding them as full of personality as you thought? Which one is currently seeming the one with the most?

As a matter of fact I am! I would definitely have to say the Sulcata seems to have the best personality. Way more active as well. Since his ancestors roamed around the deserts of Chad this isn't too surprising haha. But anyway, yes I get great enjoyment out of them.

(I apologize for the delayed response, I seem to sometimes be notified and sometimes not be when I get a reply on here.)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
" Welcome to the forum" :)
just love the new blue morphs Iggy's out there .....

JD~ :D

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
TORTOISEMAN1 said:

Hello! :)

N2TORTS said:
" Welcome to the forum" :)
just love the new blue morphs Iggy's out there .....

JD~ :D

Why thank you :)

I love them too! I had actually had seven this season. They were some amazing animals!

Here's 2 of them :)

LestatHIM

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Why thank you :) I had 7 of them total, those are just two of them. Overall they were great animals, had 2 mean ones but what can you do haha.
lushcious said:
Wow, that is one beautiful colored iguana!

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Welcome to the forum. Always glad to see a new family member. I see you're interested in Russian hatchlings now. What caught your eye about those? I am kept by Star tortoises. I say it this way because they really just let you think we KEEP them. ;) . Welcome again.

Status
Not open for further replies.