New Member Introduction

Ryne0099

Location (City and/or State)
Hanford, California
Hey everyone! I’m new on here and I just wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I are committed to getting a Russian tortoise soon. We have done a lot of research on taking care of them and housing them and we are willing to spend the money to help our future tortoise live a long and healthy life. As of now we plan on having an indoor enclosure and in the near future building an outdoor enclosure for him to run around. Any tips you have on where to get a reliably and ethically bred yearling or hatchling Russian would be great.
Also, any tips on care and housing for the central California area near Fresno is greatly appreciated.

Quadro

SC
Welcome this is the place to get all of your questions very informative group here !

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to TFO!

Here is a link to our breeders list. Several people breed Russians that are started the proper way for a long and healthy life.

Also, here are some links to excellent care info for Russians, as well as some general info on babies.

Please read these, and then come back with questions. You may find that our care differs from what you have read previously. There is so much old outdated info in the world, and getting people to "see the light" and change their methods is a huge undertaking!

Don't go to a pet store for anything. They not only don't have a clue on proper care, but they sell you "stuff" that doesn't work, is unsafe for torts, and charge a premium price for it. Allow us to guide your purchases. We don't get any of your money...our agenda is to help you keep your tort happy and healthy.

Even vets often don't know what's good for torts. Sometimes we need a good knowledgeable exotic vet, but they can be few and far between. It is not their intention, but occasionally they do more harm than good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome from Clovis, CA!