New member. I'd like you all to meet Comet.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi everyone.

I finally brought Comet home today after quite a lot of preparation. She (well, obviously I have no idea whether she's a she but I'd prefer a female so I'm going with this until I can be sure) is a 2 and a half month old eastern hermann's tortoise. This website has been an incredible resource, particularly because people seem to be able to actually justify their claims with experience and I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed.

I was expecting to get a tiny animal that hides all day, doesn't eat for weeks and is terrified of everything but she's the total opposite. Within an hour of being in her new home she was munching on some dandelions, endive and lamb's lettuce. She spends no time whatsoever in her hiding spots, instead patrolling her enclosure non stop, and if touched she won't retreat into her shell, she just looks at you and actually almost seems to enjoy being petted on the head (is this possible?). I've also seen her gnawing a little on her cuttlebone, and when I was giving her a soak last night she peed. As far as I'm aware, these are all good signs but please someone let me know if they're not!

Humidity seems to fluctuate between 60 and 70, going up even higher when misted, and from what I've read on here this is okay. The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is the temperatures, because I'm unable to get the basking spot any higher than 29 to 30 degrees C (or 85ish degrees F). She does use it though, and as I said she's very active so hopefully this is OK. The other temperatures are approximately: warm side 25 degrees C (77 degrees F), cool side 22.5 degrees C (72 degrees F) and the night time low was around 20 degrees C (68 degrees F). Would anyone care to comment on these?

In terms of her enclosure, the substrate at the moment is 100% top soil however I'm planning on changing this out at least partially for some coco coir. I had a terracotta saucer for water (recommended on her by numerous people) but she seems to be able to get in and out better of the other one which I have now, which you can see in the picture below. It's very shallow and ideal for her size. I had another little hiding spot, which was essentially a plant pot cut in two, but she wasn't remotely interested in it so I've removed it for now to give her more room for walking.

One other thing, she doesn't seem to acknowledge Nutrazu (regular Mazuri in Europe) as food despite her appetite. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried wetting it a little, and spreading it on the dandelion leaves (which are her favourite so far) but she doesn't seem interested. I know it's not a vital component of a balanced diet, but I'd like to add a couple of pellets per week in there just for variety.

Oh, and she weights 20 grams currently. How often do people weigh their animals? Every week or two seems reasonable to me, so as to not become totally obsessed.

Here are a few pictures:

n6t8q2n.jpg

ZwLRyqJ.jpg

JRleWVj.jpg

kNjMMeY.jpg

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi everyone.

I finally brought Comet home today after quite a lot of preparation. She (well, obviously I have no idea whether she's a she but I'd prefer a female so I'm going with this until I can be sure) is a 2 and a half month old eastern hermann's tortoise. This website has been an incredible resource, particularly because people seem to be able to actually justify their claims with experience and I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed.

I was expecting to get a tiny animal that hides all day, doesn't eat for weeks and is terrified of everything but she's the total opposite. Within an hour of being in her new home she was munching on some dandelions, endive and lamb's lettuce. She spends no time whatsoever in her hiding spots, instead patrolling her enclosure non stop, and if touched she won't retreat into her shell, she just looks at you and actually almost seems to enjoy being petted on the head (is this possible?). I've also seen her gnawing a little on her cuttlebone, and when I was giving her a soak last night she peed. As far as I'm aware, these are all good signs but please someone let me know if they're not!

Humidity seems to fluctuate between 60 and 70, going up even higher when misted, and from what I've read on here this is okay.
Sounding good so far. Humidity should be a bit higher. You should really have a cover on the enclosure to achieve this. Just make sure that the cover doesn't obstruct the UVB lamp as UVB doesn't pass through glass or perspex.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is the temperatures, because I'm unable to get the basking spot any higher than 29 to 30 degrees C (or 85ish degrees F). She does use it though, and as I said she's very active so hopefully this is OK.
To achieve the desired 35C, you need to lower the lamp towards the substrate. Use coathanger wire to create a secure loop if the lamp stand won't go any lower.

The other temperatures are approximately: warm side 25 degrees C (77 degrees F), cool side 22.5 degrees C (72 degrees F) and the night time low was around 20 degrees C (68 degrees F). Would anyone care to comment on these?

In terms of her enclosure, the substrate at the moment is 100% top soil however I'm planning on changing this out at least partially for some coco coir.

I had a terracotta saucer for water (recommended on her by numerous people) but she seems to be able to get in and out better of the other one which I have now, which you can see in the picture below. It's very shallow and ideal for her size.
Those pet store water bowls are a tipping hazard. The terracotta plant saucer has sloped sides and is safer; it should be just bigger than your tort and sunk into the substrate to make it easy to access. This does mean dirt gets dragged in, but your tort doesn't mind and you just need to refresh it a couple of times a day.

Use a piece of flat rock or slate as a plate for food as it helps with beak maintenance.

I had another little hiding spot, which was essentially a plant pot cut in two, but she wasn't remotely interested in it so I've removed it for now to give her more room for walking.
Your tort does need a hide and things to hide under. Your table has a built in hide by the look of it.

Get some plants in there; sink the pots into the substrate. This also helps to break up sight lines and actually makes the enclosure seem bigger to your tort. She has to walk round things and can't see the boundaries all in one go.

One other thing, she doesn't seem to acknowledge Nutrazu (regular Mazuri in Europe) as food despite her appetite. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried wetting it a little, and spreading it on the dandelion leaves (which are her favourite so far) but she doesn't seem interested. I know it's not a vital component of a balanced diet, but I'd like to add a couple of pellets per week in there just for variety.
Keep trying. It's not an essential part of her diet. Torts can take an age to decide to try something new. The pellets should be mushy.

Make sure you sprinkle a tiny amount of calcium on the food three times a week.

Oh, and she weights 20 grams currently. How often do people weigh their animals? Every week or two seems reasonable to me, so as to not become totally obsessed.
Fortnightly is fine. Make sure you do it at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency.

And don't forget that in a tiny tort a poop or pee can make a massive difference to weight!

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
@JoesMum thanks for the tips. The basking spot temperature is up to over 32 degrees C now without me having done anything. I've witnessed her storm through the water dish with no trouble at all, and even if managed to get stuck upside down in it it's very shallow. Either way I'll take it out! The table does indeed have a built in hide, where she slept all night. Also, there's already a slate in there for her food.

I appreciate the messages, guys. I gave her another soak this afternoon and she pooped as soon as I put her back in her enclosure which is another positive.

Here are a few more pics. The combination of me being a terrible photographer and having a tortoise which is constantly on the move means they're not great! She has a beautiful, yellowish shell.

hm7sBzZh.jpg

2Nhe8Dw.jpg

bdmzH7Q.jpg

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The dish you have are what I have used for years. They don't tip and are very shallow. They are very safe, I think they are a great choice.

I would try trapping in more humidity and raise the temps a bit to those recommended in the care sheet on this site.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
The dish you have are what I have used for years. They don't tip and are very shallow. They are very safe, I think they are a great choice.

I would try trapping in more humidity and raise the temps a bit to those recommended in the care sheet on this site.

Thanks Brian. I've read conflicting opinions on humidity, but mine averages out at around 70, should I still be going higher? I don't think this will be an issue for me anyway. Basking spot temperature is now 33 degrees C, or 91.4 F.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks Brian. I've read conflicting opinions on humidity, but mine averages out at around 70, should I still be going higher? I don't think this will be an issue for me anyway. Basking spot temperature is now 33 degrees C, or 91.4 F.
It's pretty straightforward

Warm and humid is ideal.

Cold and humid leads to respiratory infection

Wet leads to shell rot.

I'd serve food out of the shelter. Let your tort have UVB with her food - no crumbs in the bedroom!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
It's pretty straightforward

Warm and humid is ideal.

Cold and humid leads to respiratory infection

Wet leads to shell rot.

I'd serve food out of the shelter. Let your tort have UVB with her food - no crumbs in the bedroom!
Pretty much somes it up. I like humidity 70-80% What are your cool spots tempwise?

I agree with the UVB over the food. I have one uvb cfl over the food, one uvb cfl with the CHE as the basking spot.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
Humidity is currently 74% and I have't misted for hours. The hide part of the table is just over 22 degrees C (71.6 F), and the cool side of the open area 24 degrees C (75.2 F) with the warm side being around 27 degrees C (80.6 F).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Gorgeous little baby you've got there.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
Thanks for the lovely welcome, folks.

It's now 10pm and her light has been off for an hour and a half. She's settled down for the night in her hide, where the temperature is just below 21 degrees C and the humidity just over 80% :)

I think I'll be using this as an update thread!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and beautiful little Comet.
Some torts like a head rub, some don't.
If she does, that's a good sign, I reckon.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
She seems to be doing fine. Last night she decided to sleep in the open section of her table in the corner, but the humidity was around 70% there anyway so nothing to worry about.

We're getting into a routine. I'll give her a soak for around 20 minutes in the morning, where she'll pee. During this, I've been getting her food ready, and when I put her back in her enclosure she heats up a little and starts munching.

Whenever I'm gone for a few hours and come back, her water dish is always very muddy, so she's either using it or just stomping right through (the latter, I expect) and whatever's left of her food has been dragged all over the place. At least I know she's fairly active!

Chanchara

Cyprus, Croatia
Hello and welcome! :)
Best wishes from my Hermannis!

My 5 torts were born on August 15, almost coevals.
Today's weight: 14,8 - 18,6 g.

A small note: 35C - this is too much, 30С - enough, in my opinion.
And humidity can be made higher.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
Basking should be 95-100F (35-38C). 35 is just fine :)

It's currently around 32 degrees, but I believe the issue may be the wattage of my bulb. I'm replacing it today so hopefully that'll bump it up by 2-3C.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's currently around 32 degrees, but I believe the issue may be the wattage of my bulb. I'm replacing it today so hopefully that'll bump it up by 2-3C.
I wouldn't worry too much if activity, pooping and eating are normal. That's close enough. Lowering the height of the bulb very slight is probably all you need.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
I wouldn't worry too much if activity, pooping and eating are normal. That's close enough. Lowering the height of the bulb very slight is probably all you need.

I'm just slightly uncomfortable moving it any lower than it already is. I have no doubt that you're right, and that this is quite clearly the cheaper option, but I feel better doing it this way!