New member from the UK.

Teddy T

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone :)

As the title says new here from the UK. I’m still in the research stage for my new tortoise adventure’s. As I’ve never owned one before I want to get things right with research first. A kind member from another animal forum pointed me here for help & advice. Total beginner here so any getting started article’s would be very helpful.
Good to see this is XenForo software on this forum as I know how that works! :D

Hope to see you around & thank you for having me here.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Teddy T .

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and ask questions when in need of help. We're all here to help you.

And do not forget to post pics of your tort as well as his/her enclosure.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO from another Brit. I live in Kent and we got our tort in 1970!

In the UK, the Testudo (Russians, Greek’s and Hermann’s) are most commonly kept and adapt to our climate.

You should read the Beginner Mistakes thread as a starter
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And this thread lets you know what’s involved in caring for any of the young Testudo
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Don’t buy anything without consulting us. We’ll save you a shed load of money.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too. Here we have species writing the up to daye information like those threads I just linked.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
@JoesMum pretty much said everything.

1. Everyone in the pet industry lies. Be wary of anyone trying to sell you anything you may or may not need.
2. Consult tortoise forum before buying anything to get the latest and most accurate advice available.
3. Do not purchase a particular species of tortoise if you do not have the appropriate space to house one.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@JoesMum pretty much said everything.

1. Everyone in the pet industry lies. Be wary of anyone trying to sell you anything you may or may not need.
2. Consult tortoise forum before buying anything to get the latest and most accurate advice available.
3. Do not purchase a particular species of tortoise if you do not have the appropriate space to house one.

And 4. Don’t be persuaded into buying a pair.

They are solitary creatures and territorial. Gender and relationship makes no difference to this. Another tortoise is a rival for food and space that is all. Keep two together and one will be bullied into sickness :(