New Member from Philippines

bzhei

Hi guys! =)

I've been reading and browsing TFO for a couple of months now and have been slowly learning tortoise husbandry. I recently got a lone Leopard Bobcockii hatchling and 4 Sulcata hatchlings where 2 of which I'm going to give my cousins so they can also enjoy raising Tortoises.

I'm from Davao, Philippines where it's hot and humid all year long. Right now we are at the start of the rainy season which will last until September. Rainy season parameters are as follows:

Daytime temperature ambient is 83-88F
Night time 72-80F
Ambient humidity is 75-85% day or night

And now...meet my tortoises.. =)

First is Loopey, the Leopard Bobcockii. I got her/him from a friend with pyramiding. 3 months old, well at least that's what i've been told =)

20170607_163729.jpg
20170607_163930.jpg

Loopey's outdoor table enclosure. Made out of recycled plastic outdoor table with drainage holes drilled and PVC pipes glued together, Loopey is staying there from 9am to 4pm. Temp is 88-90F on the slate, 82F in the shade which rises to 107F on the slate at high noon, 85F in the shade on high noon. Humidity is 85% on the slate, 90% in the shade which goes down to 55% on the slate and 65-70% in the shade at high noon and returns back to 'normal' at around 1:30pm. I spray Loopey's shell about 5 times a day and seemed to like the short bursts of shower.

20170523_171938.jpg
20170524_141411.jpg

20170526_122755.jpg

Screenshot_2017-06-13-21-08-36.png
20170607_164334.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Nice enclosure. You didn't have to brag though about your naturally given temps and humidity :p Just kidding of course.:D

bzhei

Next, meet DUTortie. The tough and rowdy Sulcata Tortoise I got as a hatchling from a breeder friend's second clutch of the season. He is 2.5mos old now.

Here's 'Tortie chowing down in his/her night time indoor enclosure.
20170513_160144.jpg

'Tortie chowing again in his/her day time outdoor table enclosure.
20170614_095534.jpg

'Tortie's outdoor enclosure is 3'x6' and it holds humidity better than Loopey's enclosure. It never drops down below 70% at full sun. Probably because clay bricks were used as fencing instead of plastic pvc.
20170614_095608.jpg

20170520_172217.jpg

bzhei

Thanks for the warm welcome @wellington! =) Got to love Southeast Asian climate. hahaha! =) I'm hoping to learn more about tortoise husbandry here at TFO. =)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the warm welcome @wellington! =) Got to love Southeast Asian climate. hahaha! =) I'm hoping to learn more about tortoise husbandry here at TFO. =)
Anything and everything you need to know, you will find here.
Nice sully enclosure too and sully.
A nice tidbit of info on the clay bricks helping out with holding humidity better over plastic. Thanks for that. See, always learn things here.

bzhei

And these are the new arrivals I got from the same sulcata breeder friend. Three Sulcatas. One with the extra scute I called Scooty and will be kept. the other two are unnamed because I will be giving them to my cousins so they can start tort keeping also. I'll leave the naming to them.

20170606_125534.jpg
20170614_095445.jpg

This is the trio's outdoor enclosure. At 2'x3' this will be their temporary housing until the other two will be taken in by my cousins. I plan to convert it to a closed chamber but humidity sky rockets to 95-100% and temperature gradient suffers so I'll probably leave this as it is and make new longer closed chamber for Scooty.
20170614_095633.jpg

20170614_100616.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello and welcome from Texas! I keep the Redfooted. Wish I could keep a sulcata or another one of the giants... living in suburbs though this would not be very practical, but my RFs are absolutely adorable and in my back yard they will hopefully live a Tortoise Heaven life for many many years. I love your baby torts and enclosures. Hope you enjoy your time on this forum. It's been pretty awesome to me for the past 2 yrs. I also love your pictures. You are going to fit right in here: barely joining and already posting pics. We love pictures!!!!

bzhei

Hello and welcome from Texas! I keep the Redfooted. Wish I could keep a sulcata or another one of the giants... living in suburbs though this would not be very practical, but my RFs are absolutely adorable and in my back yard they will hopefully live a Tortoise Heaven life for many many years. I love your baby torts and enclosures. Hope you enjoy your time on this forum. It's been pretty awesome to me for the past 2 yrs. I also love your pictures. You are going to fit right in here: barely joining and already posting pics. We love pictures!!!!

Thanks! =) I've been reading and learning here before starting my tortoise journey and i love taking photos of my torts and sharing them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to you and your beautiful torts and enclosures!

kenneth

Hi sir bzhei, I'm in love with your adorable tortoises and well-built enclosures. May I ask where do you get your sulcata hatchlings? I find it difficult locating breeders, planning to have one sulcata also. Can you help me please? I'm from the Philippines too but I'm here in Pangasinan. Thanks in advance

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Bzhei, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Lovely torts and good enclosures.
I'd be a bit careful of those clamp light fitments though, they could fail and cause a disaster, firmly secured with nuts and bolts is safer.
And a jolly Tortoise Forum greeting to you too, Kenneth.:)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome.
Always like to see folks who put great thought & effort in the enclosure , monitor temps, humidity , etc. makes a difference.

We have similar heat & humidity now here in Florida. Only have about 3 winter months here to worry about.

Good fortune to you