New Member from Illinois

AJK Aquaria

Hey all...

I've visited this site from time to time, but only now joining. My name is Adam and as the thread title states, I reside in Illinois. Northern Illinois to be specific.

I've kept turtles for most of my life, ever since I was a kid. Mostly what I caught in the local ponds and lakes. I no longer keep any wildlife, but back then information regarding regulations and conservation was non existent for young herpers (I can't even get my FWS to respond back to me now). My information came from my Audubon and Peterson Field Guides. Later from Reptiles Magazine and the Advanced Vivarium Systems series of care books.

Anyways I do have an important question regarding the brumation/hibernation of Box turtles, which I hope to post later today or tomorrow in the appropriate section. I've read older threads on the topic, but would like some input/advice on my specific situation.

I have not kept aquatic species for quite awhile now. I realize this is a tortoise group, but just thought I'd mention it. My current collection includes a 'rescue' 3 toed I've had for 12 years, along with more 3 toeds I obtained this spring. All reside in an outdoor enclosure I put together starting earlier this April. Several yearling+ Eastern Boxes and some young Brazilian Redfoots round out the chelonians. I kind of went nuts the last several of years with new critters but luckily I have a tolerant and understanding wife. She enjoys the turtles and tortoises. Much more so than all the African Cichlids and snakes we keep.

I'm into designing natural Aquaria for my fish, and try to replicate the bottom of the body of water where they reside in my display aquariums. I wanted to do something similar with my outdoor setup for the 3 toeds. It was fun designing and scaping the enclosure. It's not perfect and I need to add some 'nesting areas' as I have seen them mating frequently. I'll go into more detail with it later in my future post, but will include some recent photos here...

i85zS7j.jpg

8K3FSjW.jpg

L4eFcUz.jpg

So that about sums it up for now. Thanks and look forward to talking chelonians with you.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Welcome!! Your pen is gorgeous!!

There are many many folks here with turtles!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome Adam. Turtle talk, questions and pictures and sharing info is also welcomed here. We even have sections for your other animals if you'd like to share about them too.

AJK Aquaria

Welcome!! Your pen is gorgeous!!

There are many many folks here with turtles!

Thanks for the compliment!
Good to hear about the turtles. I found a whole section devoted to them.

Welcome Adam. Turtle talk, questions and pictures and sharing info is also welcomed here. We even have sections for your other animals if you'd like to share about them too.

Well I have lots of pics and plenty of other animals so I will need to check that out. Thank you.

Welcome Adam!

Gracias