New member frm Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK

Steviem

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi, just joined today.
I decided to take early retirement at the start of covid.
I've built a new Aviary for my birds and also decided to research and care for Tortoises.
I've kept them in my teens and with plenty of time on my hands now, I have rekindle my interest.
Any help with finding a reputable supplier and who to avoid would be appreciated.
I have bought a large Tortoise table, a medium and also a large Vivarium. These all have heating and lighting. I'm also creating a Tortoise adventure playground in my garden for the summer.
I'm determined to give any tortoise I keep in the best condition possible and provide them with a stimulating environment.
Once it's safe, I'm really looking forward to meeting like minded individuals.
In the meantime I'll be going through the archives on this forum so as not to ask the usual questions.
Hopefully someone will reply to this post and I'll be venturing into the new world of tortoise care .
So much has changed with their care and there's such a wealth of information now available.
Thanks in advance ?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Another friend from the old country......I ride Kaw triples, a huge following in the UK due to Rick Brett.....so I have a lot of friends spread throughout.....and taking retirement was a life saving decision quite likely from what they've been telling me for the past year.

Take the time to read the Sticky notes, they are not the run-of-the-mill opinions we often find but are actual National Zoo-quality talent! You are well educated. so you will especially appreciate them!

good luck my UK friend and WTTC!

jeff

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There are some great caresheets for most species and this is the one for the most common species available in the UK and is the most up to date you'll find anywhere,

You are very wise to research first to find the tort that best suits your circumstances.
As you'll see form your reading of the threads, some pet shops and even some breeders know very little about correct current care and will happily talk people into buying 2 torts or sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment, so you'll save a fortune by checking here first.
Good luck in your search.