New Member and of course a question.

FridayGt

Location (City and/or State)
Altus, OK
Hi everyone, I am new to tortoises from Southwestern Oklahoma! I currently have a dog, cat and a monitor lizard who is a great little buddy.

Over the last several months, I’ve gone from thinking a tortoise would be nice to making the constant research rabbit hole dive of seriously considering. While my current 7 year old Son LOVES animals, I’ve come to the understanding that tortoises can potentially be a grandchild and beyond level commitment and that is the last concern that has me deciding to take my time in consideration. Another concern of mine that I’d appreciate input on, is environmental consideration with regard to specific species and your experiences on it.

Any eventual tortoise that I do get, I will want to house primarily outside once it’s old/large enough. Before that point it will be housed in a large high-walled tortoise table in a climate controlled enclosed patio with daily supervised outdoor time as that’s where I prefer to read my books. Once old/ large enough, it will be housed in a combo chicken coop/dog house like construction with heater, thermostat controller and run of the larger fenced in yard with concrete footers surrounding it during the day. The yard is a good size, is watered with sprinklers daily, has shade from a tree/ garden/ bushes and will have a soaking tub/water source installed with a hose on timer. I live in Southwest Oklahoma and the average temperatures range from an average overnight low of 26 in January and an average high of 96 during the day in July.

I have seen that my environment would most easily suit a horsefields tortoise, but was also hoping for one a little larger, no larger than a Burmese black mountain tortoise. Does anyone have any thoughts on other tortoises that might suit that kind of an environment? I’m not as worried about the cooler temperatures as I intend to have heating setup well before the animal transitions to outside, but is the average high too high for a mountain tortoise? Shade and a small shallow soaking tub with circulated water will be constant, but too much heat seems to be more a concern than too little with these guys.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
You are very wise to research and ask questions to get everything in place before you get a tort. I had no idea of what was involved when my tort came into my life.

The best place to start would be to look at the Species Specific section and read the caresheets for the torts you are considering, then you can make an informed choice based on what is best suited to your climate and circumstances. While some species do have similar care needs they can be vastly different for others.

Don't be tempted to get 2 (whatever the gender or even if siblings) because torts are solitary, territorial creatures so should never be kept in pairs. (Unless you can house them completely separately of course).

Now you have found the TFO stick to this as your main source of information because there is a lot of old incorrect advice still circulating elsewhere, The methods shared by very experienced keepers here are up to date and you'll always find someone to help. It can also save you money you might otherwise waste on unsuitable and unsafe equipment that pet store like to sell.

Most species do better in a large vivarium or similar at first where the heat and humidity can be controlled but the caresheets will advise on that.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi everyone, I am new to tortoises from Southwestern Oklahoma! I currently have a dog, cat and a monitor lizard who is a great little buddy.

Over the last several months, I’ve gone from thinking a tortoise would be nice to making the constant research rabbit hole dive of seriously considering. While my current 7 year old Son LOVES animals, I’ve come to the understanding that tortoises can potentially be a grandchild and beyond level commitment and that is the last concern that has me deciding to take my time in consideration. Another concern of mine that I’d appreciate input on, is environmental consideration with regard to specific species and your experiences on it.

Any eventual tortoise that I do get, I will want to house primarily outside once it’s old/large enough. Before that point it will be housed in a large high-walled tortoise table in a climate controlled enclosed patio with daily supervised outdoor time as that’s where I prefer to read my books. Once old/ large enough, it will be housed in a combo chicken coop/dog house like construction with heater, thermostat controller and run of the larger fenced in yard with concrete footers surrounding it during the day. The yard is a good size, is watered with sprinklers daily, has shade from a tree/ garden/ bushes and will have a soaking tub/water source installed with a hose on timer. I live in Southwest Oklahoma and the average temperatures range from an average overnight low of 26 in January and an average high of 96 during the day in July.

I have seen that my environment would most easily suit a horsefields tortoise, but was also hoping for one a little larger, no larger than a Burmese black mountain tortoise. Does anyone have any thoughts on other tortoises that might suit that kind of an environment? I’m not as worried about the cooler temperatures as I intend to have heating setup well before the animal transitions to outside, but is the average high too high for a mountain tortoise? Shade and a small shallow soaking tub with circulated water will be constant, but too much heat seems to be more a concern than too little with these guys.
Welcome to the forum and bravo to you for finding the forum and doing your due diligence before bringing a tortoise home!! I see you’d really like to look at a larger species, which I don’t have experience with, but I’m sure someone will come along that will be able to answer your questions. I have an Eastern Hermann’s tortoise who I absolutely adore. Hermann’s tortoises require the same care as Russians that you’ve familiarized yourself with already. Incase you do want to look at either of these spieces a little closer, here’s the best available care information for them.

Here’s another great thread that I think is worth reading too. There’s a lot of great takeaways for someone who is considering bringing a tortoise into their life.

Jan A

Boulder, CO

Welcome to the forum. Just moved to Oklahoma this past April & got Houdini about 2 months ago. He's a 2-3 yr old redfoot. He comes by his name honestly. So we've largely been concerned about having escape-proof enclosures, especially outside. There are a few of us in Oklahoma on the TF here. So welcome.

FridayGt

Altus, OK
Hi and welcome,
You are very wise to research and ask questions to get everything in place before you get a tort. I had no idea of what was involved when my tort came into my life.

The best place to start would be to look at the Species Specific section and read the caresheets for the torts you are considering, then you can make an informed choice based on what is best suited to your climate and circumstances. While some species do have similar care needs they can be vastly different for others.

Don't be tempted to get 2 (whatever the gender or even if siblings) because torts are solitary, territorial creatures so should never be kept in pairs. (Unless you can house them completely separately of course).

Now you have found the TFO stick to this as your main source of information because there is a lot of old incorrect advice still circulating elsewhere, The methods shared by very experienced keepers here are up to date and you'll always find someone to help. It can also save you money you might otherwise waste on unsuitable and unsafe equipment that pet store like to sell.

Most species do better in a large vivarium or similar at first where the heat and humidity can be controlled but the caresheets will advise on that.

Thank you for the reference!!! Not much of a care sheet there, but it did refer me to mountaintortoise.com which has a TON of information. A really neat tool on that site is the weatherbase website that allows you to compare weather from cities within their native ranges to yours, definitely assuaged my concerns!

Welcome to the forum. Just moved to Oklahoma this past April & got Houdini about 2 months ago. He's a 2-3 yr old redfoot. He comes by his name honestly. So we've largely been concerned about having escape-proof enclosures, especially outside. There are a few of us in Oklahoma on the TF here. So welcome.
Welcome to Oklahoma! The military just moved us out here last October. One of the things I appreciate about here is that my entire backyard fence is sunk in a concrete foundation because of all the wind. Should help with escapes from the yard hopefully!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome to Oklahoma! The military just moved us out here last October. One of the things I appreciate about here is that my entire backyard fence is sunk in a concrete foundation because of all the wind. Should help with escapes from the yard hopefully!
If you move around with the military is there a chance you could be moved again in the future?
If so then maybe consider a species that will be easy to move when the time comes and one that can be legally owned in all states. I understand that some species aren't allowed in all states, but you probably already know that. :)

FridayGt

Altus, OK
If you move around with the military is there a chance you could be moved again in the future?
If so then maybe consider a species that will be easy to move when the time comes and one that can be legally owned in all states. I understand that some species aren't allowed in all states, but you probably already know that. :)
Thank you for the good thought! I've been in for 18 years now, so I'm pretty close to retirement and this is where we want to stay. There is a chance, though slim, that they'd send me somewhere but it'd be while the tortoise was still small and only temporary. My family would more than likely stay here until I get back.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Welcome!

Marginated is the best medium-sized tortoise for OK!

If you think you like red foots, consider a box turtle instead. Red foots don't hibernate during our winters. Box turtles are legal here, you can even take them from the wild (not recommended) as long as you don't sell them.

FridayGt

Altus, OK
Well, I figured an update was due for everyone that welcomed me and helped to provide me with their input!

After looking into a lot of info on this site and the posts in this thread, my family and I decided on Manouria Emys Phayrei or the Burmese Black Mountain Tortoise. We found a breeder from Mountaintortoise.com that was incredibly kind to offer me his time providing a lot of feedback on my thoughts and a lot of his experience for the questions my family had that we just couldn't seem to find online. Years and years ago when we decided to purchase our monitor lizard, there was just an abundance of information on the species, but there didn't seem to be that same abundance for the Mountain Tortoise. We're incredibly grateful that the breeder was so generous with his knowledge and he'll be shipping out our little Turtle Pip on Tuesday, so we should have our new family member Wednesday morning!

If anyone is also looking for a Mountain Tortoise or is curious, the breeder is John Bailey from mountaintortoise.com. I'll post more updates and obviously pictures once our little one arrives and has a chance to settle in a bit. Also if John is reading this, thank you again, we're crazy excited and can't wait! My Son and I are already working to convince Mom to up the budget for a 2nd one to keep this one company. hahahaha