New Member and Humidity Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistabagel12

5 Year Member
New member but have had my RT Vladimir for about 10 months now. I recently upgraded his living arrangements as winter is approaching (I live in NY) and he won't be able to get any time outside. I made an enclosure out of an old bookcase (quite large, probably 10x5) and so far so good. Only problem is I live near the water and so my basement is quite humid.
When his day lamps are on and enclosure temp is between 80-85 degrees, his hygrometer reads about 45-50% which is a little high but not too much of an issue I would think. Though at night when heat lamps are turned off and temp drops to about 65-70 degrees, his hygrometer reads as high as 75-80%. I understand this is due to relative humidity vs absolute humidity. There is not actually more water vapor in the air, just more saturation due to the drop in temp (sorry for the earth science lesson), so finally my question is.
When determining a proper humidity for my RT, am I focusing on relative humidity or absolute? Do I need to look into a de-humidifier for his enclosure for night time? Thanks so much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

(Don't know the answer to your question, sorry)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). All I can say is that high of humidity is not needed for RT. Maybe you could try a ceramic heat emitter for night time heat and put it on the end opposite from where he sleeps. See if that would lower the humidity. Humid and cold can make a sick tort.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
welcome. do you mean theres condensation at night due to there not being heat to keep the moisture partially evaporated (or humid, if you will)? if so, you may want to consider adding a de-humidifier. moisture and low temps arent good for tortoises, many issues arise due to this ratio. i hope i answered your question. let me know if i didnt catch it.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Mistabagel12

5 Year Member
Thanks all, I'm thinking a dehumidifier is the best choice. Any suggestions? I would preferably not have to spend upwards of $250 to dehumidify the whole room. Will a mini dehumidifier placed directly in his enclosure do the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.