New marginated owner.

Location (City and/or State)
Czech Republic
Hi everyone,

I've been really lucky to find this place--it's been invaluable already, yet I have a lot to still read and learn.

I bought a young marginated (born 10.2012) tortoise for my son two weeks ago, and I''m trying to figure out what will keep him healthy and happy. I'm a bit worried because we bought him from a pet store where he was kept (for about 6 months they said) in a glass terrarium and fed commercial pellets. We have mainly been feeding him dandelions and kohlrabi leaves (he loves them) with an occasional cucumber slice (trying to limit cucumbers to once a week). We just bought some Chinese cabbage, so I'll see what he thinks of that since it's supposed to have a decent Ca: P ratio. If anyone has good advice on what to use for a varied weekly diet, I'd really appreciate it.

I'll be building him a run on our balcony, but this summer has been fairly cold and wet here, so for now--and in winter/fall he'll be an indoor tortoise. I'm wondering if he's getting too hot (first I thought he was too cold)--basically he wakes up around 5:30am, and then by 9 or 10am, after he's gotten a bath and eaten, he buries himself and we don't see him again until the next morning. Do any of you know if this is normal for marginateds?

In any case, thank you in advance for this site and your help.

Mike

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum!

The description you've given of your tortoise's day is exactly what they do...not just marginated, but most species. They come out and soak up the "sun" then they eat/graze for a while, then they go back into the hiding place and wait until early evening and come out again for more grazing. Sound perfectly normal to me.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Baby torts hide because if they move around to much they get eaten but once the tort see you as the food God it will come running . Have a great tort dayImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404853721.743528.jpg and they love cactuses pads

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here.

I have one of them too. He is feeding with some hermannis

IMG_0039.JPG

Czech Republic
Oh wow, he's beautiful! He's obviously been well-cared for. If you have any tips or tricks, I'm all ears. My guy is considerably younger/smaller. Here he is after a bath and with moist coconut husk put in his tub.

Attachments

• Tortoise 2.jpg
    Tortoise 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6