New Leopard Tortoise

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Got this guy today, such a beautiful animal. Any thoughts on if its a he or a she? I feel like its a he, and when I gave him a little scrub today on his plastron it flashed me. But ive heard females flash too, and what came out wasn't very big, It looked grey and pink, but not like some of the males i've seen on some videos on youtube.

Also, how about age? I know it has some pyramiding and I have him in 80% humidity indoors at 97 degrees during the day, and 72 at night and two UVB tubes across the top of the enclosure. The enclosure is sealed with sliding glass doors. Is it too late to smooth him out a bit?

Thanks all!

Tony

20210303_230112.jpg20210303_230204.jpg20210303_230219.jpg20210303_230233.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Read "The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise'" it is on the forum. I have no idea how to pin it to you but search the forum and it will pop up. Cute leopard! My guess is a boy, however, I have been wrong a lot! The tortoise is probably still a little small. I am not an expert.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Leopards are not temperate. This is the proper care sheet:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Got this guy today, such a beautiful animal. Any thoughts on if its a he or a she? I feel like its a he, and when I gave him a little scrub today on his plastron it flashed me. But ive heard females flash too, and what came out wasn't very big, It looked grey and pink, but not like some of the males i've seen on some videos on youtube.

Also, how about age? I know it has some pyramiding and I have him in 80% humidity indoors at 97 degrees during the day, and 72 at night and two UVB tubes across the top of the enclosure. The enclosure is sealed with sliding glass doors. Is it too late to smooth him out a bit?

Thanks all!

Tony
That is a male for sure. No way to know the age.

97 is way too hot if that is ambient. Fine for basking.
72 is too cool at night. It will be sick in no time if you let it get that cold with high humidity. Keep the whole enclosure 80 or more at night.

The care sheet from ZenHerper will have all the right temps and info for you.

Nice tortoise!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry I have Hermanns too. Clearly not an expert. Thank you for correcting me. @ZenHerper.

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
I will adjust the Temps and read the caresheet. The enclosure has a cooler side and the hot side is under the CHE on one end. Thanks again.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
What a cutie! It's a bit small to tell but I think that it's a male. But I'd recommend reading the care sheets and adjusting the temps.

Ghazan

5 Year Member
Looks male but still young, pretty guy!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
So, My Leopard, Seymore is 2 years, 11 Mo. Old. @ last weigh he was 715g, & a lil less than 6.5" retracted.
Hard to tell by the one pict. with a tape measure exactly how Big your guy is. But this will give you an approx age.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, My Leopard, Seymore is 2 years, 11 Mo. Old. @ last weigh he was 715g, & a lil less than 6.5" retracted.
Hard to tell by the one pict. with a tape measure exactly how Big your guy is. But this will give you an approx age.
Well really depending on the way they are raised. Proper care and improper care can play a big role in their size. Also the diet can play yet another big role in their size. So without really knowing the hatch date or how it was raised before the OP got him, he really could be older or younger.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post pics of your enclosure?
You'll get great advice on how to make it as safe as possible for your tort.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Well really depending on the way they are raised. Proper care and improper care can play a big role in their size. Also the diet can play yet another big role in their size. So without really knowing the hatch date or how it was raised before the OP got him, he really could be older or younger.
Ok

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Definitely a male. No doubt.

I am looking for an education here, what exactly makes it no doubt its a male? The Tail or the scutes? Ive just seen so many photos where sometimes they look similar, or the anal scutes change as they age? Thanks!

Ghazan

5 Year Member
Tail looks long and thick and I'm sure the cloaca would be past the anal scute if you pulled the tail straight