new leopard tortoise mama here, just want to make sure every thing is looking alright!

diwiluv

Location (City and/or State)
California
hey everyone!
my name is jasmine and i have a 2 month leopard tortoise who is named kiwi. i got him from a reptile shop June 17 so I've had him for about 2 weeks now. i keep him indoors due to him being so tiny but i do give him some outdoor time under my supervision. i just recently completed his new home ( at least i hope ) but just wanted to see if it was good enough for him. as show in the photos below, i have a dual light fixture that has a UVB light and UVA on one end i have a ceramic heat emitter with no light over his water since he loves spending lots of time in there. he does have multiple shaded areas that aren't as hot as his basking area and water area. i was thinking about connecting another space for him so he has more room to walk around. he is very active and loves exploring around. here are some photos below, hopefully i can get some tips! thanks IMG_E4584.JPGIMG_E4585.JPG

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
You’ll need to get something bigger. A 50 gallon tote with a lid should work not only is it big enough for a baby is going to keep high humidity and temperature levels right. Something that will be much harder to do in this current enclosure.
You will also need no get a different kind of UVB Those coil ones are no good. Look at leopard tortoise care sheet.
You’ll have to redo almost everything.

diwiluv

California
temp and humidity is in the range it’s supposed to be in, was planning on expanding his home just as an additional thing. I got all my info from tortoisetown.com as well as watched many of their YouTube videos, they recommended lots of what I have now along with other leopard tortoise owners. thank you for your feedback, will definitely take all into consideration.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
temp and humidity is in the range it’s supposed to be in, was planning on expanding his home just as an additional thing. I got all my info from tortoisetown.com as well as watched many of their YouTube videos, they recommended lots of what I have now along with other leopard tortoise owners. thank you for your feedback, will definitely take all into consideration.
Hello and welcome!

Sorry. Looks like you got all the usual wrong pet store stuff. You will not be able to maintain the correct conditions in an open topped tub like that. Also the food and water bowls, and your lights are dangerous and should not be used. I'm sorry you didn't find us first, and I know this is exasperatingly frustrating, but this is what happens when you go to a pet shop. Happens to everyone. At least you've found us now and can correct the problems before its too late. Check this out:

diwiluv

California
Hello and welcome!

Sorry. Looks like you got all the usual wrong pet store stuff. You will not be able to maintain the correct conditions in an open topped tub like that. Also the food and water bowls, and your lights are dangerous and should not be used. I'm sorry you didn't find us first, and I know this is exasperatingly frustrating, but this is what happens when you go to a pet shop. Happens to everyone. At least you've found us now and can correct the problems before its too late. Check this out:

thank you!! going to check it out right now

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I had a similar setup when I very first got my leopard. Once you switch it all up you will see a whole new baby basically and YOU will love it too! So much easier to keep everything perfect and honestly more visually pleasing in my opinion. Plus cheaper electri bill! Booya!

diwiluv

California
I had a similar setup when I very first got my leopard. Once you switch it all up you will see a whole new baby basically and YOU will love it too! So much easier to keep everything perfect and honestly more visually pleasing in my opinion. Plus cheaper electri bill! Booya!

aww yay! after reading a forum linked above to me i can’t wait to switch everything up. do you have photos of your set up and tortoise I can check out? thanks

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
aww yay! after reading a forum linked above to me i can’t wait to switch everything up. do you have photos of your set up and tortoise I can check out? thanks
Sure thing! Its 4ftx2ft
I just love showing off my little man ??
there are also a lot of different threads about easy/cheap closed chambers on here so you can get lots of ideas on the best way for you20200601_124955.jpg
20200622_072826.jpg20200624_174041.jpg

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
he is adorable!
did you use some type of clothy zip enclosure for him?
Yes sorry, its a grow tent on its side! Just took some slights modifications at it works perfectly. A lot of people also use those large Christmas totes. I thinks these are easier to setup for our purpose, but every one has a different opinion ?20200606_071331.jpg20200606_071047.jpg
And here is a look at the harware just as a reference
20200601_125102.jpg

ManAlive85

London UK
The grow tent is a brilliant idea! I’ve never seen that before.

Almost makes me wish I hadn’t spent several days and god knows how much money building a timber enclosure ??‍♂️.

nicoleann2214

NY
@Chubbs the tegu recommended it to me and @nicoleann2214 has one as well and it is super easy and comes in all sizes! I'm not mechanically inclined so a home made wooden enclosure never would have been a thing for me ?? it would have looked like a 5 yr olds tree fort hahaha
I now have a temporary one for my redfoot too!
View attachment 298692
Grow tents are perfect! I love mine. And not only that you can keep upgrading as your tortoise grows :)