New keeper problem....

TheNoobIndian

Location (City and/or State)
Mumbai, India
Hey guys, from my U.name you already know that i am an indian. No matter how much research i have done, due to less affinity for the people here to keep pets, i have encountered poisoning in my pair of hatchling tortoise.
The people i bought my tortoises (2) from told me they will appreciate foilage in their enclosure. So i put a pothos in their. For 2 days i observed gnawing on the leaves, then i thought that the plant was getting ruined. So i removed it.
Now (3 days later) both tortoise have swollen eyes and not drinking water while soaking. One has stopped eating completely while other tries to eat but doesnt. Both dont poop. And i have never seen them pee. I did read about poisoning on this site and wiki. Olive oil and lots of soaking.
But idk how to use olive oil. Pls help me...
Also i am having 2 star tortoise. I cannot take to a vet bcoz there is no tortoise specialty plus stars are banned in country tho i have provided v.good homes for them. They get smuggled.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
we will need more details about them, their enclosures, the lights being used, substrate, humidity etc... pictures are helpful as well

TheNoobIndian

Mumbai, India
No pet store keeps their lights. So i have ordered from amazon. Both are hatchlings of 1 month their egg tooth were not present. Substrate was mix of garden soil and river sand (all toxic free as i washed them and kept them in sun for abt a week before getting the stars). But since their eyes were closed only, i removed all that. No humidity cntrl as i live. 5 kms inland from ocean. I will upload pictures as soon as i can.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please read our care sheet and make any necessary adjustments to the way you feed and care for your tortoises:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

All of your questions should find answers there on the care sheet. But one thing you may not be aware of is tortoises don't like company. They would be much happier if they lived alone, each in their own space.

I don't know if you have access to strained carrot baby food for human babies in India, but if you do, here's how to get rid of the swollen shut eyes:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=strained+carrot+baby+food&i=specialty-aps&srs=13153885011&ref=nb_sb_noss

Using a container with a small footprint but tall sides (so the babies can't climb out) mix the baby food half and half with warm water and soak the babies in the solution for at least a half hour, and longer is better. You can set the container back into the enclosure to keep it warm while they soak. If you soak them daily at the end of three days you should notice an improvement in their eyes.

I'm thinking you're not keeping the babies warm enough. Do you use a light over their enclosure? It really would help us if we could see pictures of the enclosure and tortoises.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Do the strained carrot food for babies soak, as mentioned above. And I'd say for sure your temperatures are not warm enough, especially now since they are not feeling well. Try to raise the temperature to 90 to 95 degrees F and no lower than 80 F at night.