New juvenile enclosure.

Christiaan

Just finished building an outdoor enclosure for my small Redfoots it's a 5x5 and it hold 4 of the little guys 2 cherrys and 2 redsImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1473120777.640654.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
With those blocks you are using, it would be simple to double the width of that enclosure. I would.
Also, make sure that a portion of it...Maybe as much as 50% gets shade. It would be easy for little ones to overheat in full sun with so little cover.

Christiaan

Although the shad did not appear in the picture behind the rear wall there are some palms which give about 30% shade all day also around the edges there is about a 1 foot ring of shade that is available 24/7. I would've loved to make the enclosure bigger but I had to make due with what I had.

Any suggestions as to anything I should add to make it more pleasant for the little guys?

itiswhatitis

Looks good !!! I'd put the food in a dish though. Anything to keep from eating the substrate.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a setup very similar to that a while ago and I also used a garden hose with a fine sprinkler attached to it to "rain" on the tortoises for a treat on a hot afternoon.
Redfoot LOVE the rain!

Christiaan

I try to hose them down everyday unless I'm at work and as for the food bowl I used one when they were hatchlings but I'm trying to simulate foraging so whenever it's feeding time the location is always changed.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you want the stimulation, best to just move the food dish around. Cut up pieces of food on the ground cause them to eat substrate - natural foraging involves them biting growing things (leaves, mushrooms) that are generally not totally flush to the ground.

Christiaan

I actually went to Home Depot after work and bought a large dish for just that reason.

Any more suggestions as to how I can make life easier for these little guys? I noticed one of them had some pyramiding and I'm not too sure how to combat that.