New indoor setup input needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishguy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba, Canada
I'm building a new table setup for our small Indian Star. Currently housed in a 3ft x 1.5ft exoterra. This size is fine for awhile but seeing how active he is when outside and how much ground he covers we thought he'd appreciate more room.

I have a couple of questions...

How tall should I make the walls around the edges? We are factoring for 2 tortoises. I know these guys aren't great climbers but I still want to make sure they can't fall out.

Second, it is going to be 5.5ft x 2.5ft on the main level with a smaller second level accessed by a small ramp. This is a fair amount of space to heat. I'm not concerned about the basking areas, but more keeping the average temperature up. The cooler end would be around 22C as that's our usual house temp. But I worry about it not being warm enough overall, with too many cold areas.
I'm toying with enclosing a portion to keep temps up.

I've seen lots of examples and many of the more open designs seem to not have more than one or two heat lamps, leaving much of the setup at room temps. Am I concerned about this for nothing?

Any advice or experience appreciated.

mikeh

5 Year Member
A good option is to can go with "closed chamber" style tort table. This will enable you an easy control of inside temps and humidity. Search the forum for closed chamber topics. Open table of that size may be hard to overall regulate for much different temps then room temp.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

fishguy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba, Canada
I may look to do a partially enclosed setup.

Any input on safe wall height to prevent climbing out?

Status
Not open for further replies.