New indoor pen for $20

Jazenami

I didn't like the kiddie pool and it's huge obnoxious shape in my kitchen.. So I went out and bought four storage tubs for $20 at wal-mart and in about an hour I made this!
It is 4 feet long and 30" wide. I just bought him a cuttlebone at wal-mart as well for $1 in the bird section. He sniffed it but hasn't bitten it yet.
Before you say anything though take note I do know I have to fix the lighting!
That is tomorrow's project. My 5 month old wouldn't let me have any more time to myself when I was done putting all of Chompy's "furniture" in there. :)

Attachments

• 20140216_192530_resized.jpg
    20140216_192530_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
  • 20140216_192539_resized.jpg
    20140216_192539_resized.jpg
    1,023 KB · Views: 167

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Good way to build a indoor enclosure and looks like you know what you are doing. Did you measure the humidity?

Jazenami

bouaboua said:
Good way to build a indoor enclosure and looks like you know what you are doing. Did you measure the humidity?

I have not. Right now I don't have anything to measure temp/humidity :(
Only in the past week have I realized what a crappy tortoise mommy I have been.
The substrate is moist but not dusty, I have always tried to keep it like that and figured that was enough.
It's on my amazon wish list at the moment!
Soon..

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sounded like you know what you are doing. Please keep us updated.

I'm very sure that you are not alone. My wife go say "HI" and "Good morning" to all the tortoise before kiss me for good morning. I'm the one who is making coffee and breakfast every morning.

She is a happy not crappy Tortoise mommy........I think you are too.:p:p:p:):):):)

Jazenami

bouaboua said:
Sounded like you know what you are doing. Please keep us updated.

I'm very sure that you are not alone. My wife go say "HI" and "Good morning" to all the tortoise before kiss me for good morning. I'm the one who is making coffee and breakfast every morning.

She is a happy not crappy Tortoise mommy........I think you are too.:p:p:p:):):):)

Haha thanks. I will keep you all updated, I've gotten a little addicted to this forum, I've learned so much!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I love how you tied the two containers together [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] good job.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Jazenami said:
bouaboua said:

I have not. Right now I don't have anything to measure temp/humidity :(
Only in the past week have I realized what a crappy tortoise mommy I have been.
The substrate is moist but not dusty, I have always tried to keep it like that and figured that was enough.
It's on my amazon wish list at the moment!
Soon..

Great job! Gotta luv Amazon I have a big tortoise wish list myself lol

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
Jazenami said:
My 5 month old wouldn't let me have any more time to myself when I was done putting all of Chompy's "furniture" in there. :)

Oh I'm so w/ you here! Our 7-monther has made every 10-minute project an hour-long one and each afternoon job a weekend task! He just learned to pull himself into a sitting position in his crib & stick his legs through the bars while holding on w/ his hands! He's so proud of himself and squeals in delight which gave me 15 hands-free/worry-free minutes to clean the Day Gecko viv in his room yesterday. All fine & dandy until he realizes his crib is a padded jail!
All about novelty w/ him. He had a full-blown melt-down in his jumper while I cleaned his little aquarium yesterday but a metal handle on a file cabinet kept him occupied long enough for me to deal w/ eggs in a nest box. Getting rid of animals would be one solution but I'd go crazy if I didn't have non-baby related chores!
Love your tortoise box. We were planning on the swimming pool ourselves... Was it a space issue or just aesthetics that didn't work for you?

Jazenami

I have the tortoise and 1 dog right now and I feel like the first 3 months of my kid's life they were so neglected but I'm getting better making sure they all get enough attention every day.
With the kiddie pool it was a lot of things. Number 1 is that it was a little short and Chompy was figuring out how to make a hill and touch the top of the sides. Number 2 is when we went to make a mesh cover for it the best solution we found was made out of chicken wire which for me is a no-no to have around the baby when he starts moving around. I'm going to keep the pool as an outdoor enclosure for this season and next summer work on something better. Number 3 was the odd shape. The storage bins are bigger than the kiddie pool yet with the rectangular shape it's much easier to walk around and move. Also they are more aesthetically pleasing because it's ok to see storage bins in your house but a low to the ground kiddie pool filled with dirt is just kind of...meh.. you know? Lol.