new indoor enclosure, please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToriTortoiseCute

5 Year Member
I've had my tortoise for about 5 months, she is a yearling russian tortoise and has been outside all the time for the 5 months.
I live in NY and its beginning to become cold and i have to bring her inside for the winter. Tori, the tortoise, has a pen about 2' by 3' and is a good size for her. Today was the first entire day inside and would not stop trying to get out, and this went on ALL FREAKING DAY, scratching scratching scratching at the plastic. She can't see out and I need help on how to make her happy like she was outside. she had a huge 5' by 10' pen for her to wander all day. Thanks for any help

She spends the day outside now and comes in during the night. she starts scratching the minute she comes inside.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Unfortunately, she probably will do this for awhile. Some do it all winter, some eventually settle down.

See some other threads about outside/inside and Russians, and how they thrive outside, but put yourself in her place: nice home in the country with lots of outside activities vs a studio apartment w/o any access to the outside.

If you can make her indoor enclosure larger, or add a second level with a ramp, it might help. But for most of them, it is just being outside.

Elmzie

5 Year Member
I am really new to this forum and tortoises in general. However one suggestion I could make is perhaps for the indoor enclosure you could line it with some of that decorative lining. Its almost like wall paper and it gives the illusion of being outside more. You see it on fish tanks all the time. I realize your last post was 2 months ago and this situation might be fixed by now. But if not I personally would recommend trying that, as well I have seen videos on youtube that really do show some nice interior decorations for enclosures. I think the surrounding is a huge part for the happiness of your tortoise. Try some of that stuff if you haven't already and I hope all works out for you.

Cheers and good luck.

ToriTortoiseCute

5 Year Member
no, this was posted a week ago. the other posts were about different topics. the enclosure is currently lined with a scarf. nothing is calming her down. she hasn't eaten in 2 days, but she eats her poo so she may not be hungry! She has the chance everyday to walk around down stairs for hours while i study and never strays far. this is so hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.