New indoor enclosure flooring

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Napa, Ca
I’m putting together a new indoor enclosure for my 5 year old Leopard. I'm looking for ideas for flooring (to put over the plywood). I was hoping for something water resistant and durable (he likes to dig). I considered vinyl planks or linoleum, but I'm also worried about a heat reaction to his Kane mat that I will be putting in there. If anyone has experience with this, I'd really appreciate some input. Will the heat from the mat affect the flooring? If so, should I just install the vinyl flooring, and leave bare floor around where the kane mat will go? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!!

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
How about rubber stall mats?
Considered this, but the smell is VERY strong on those and takes ages to dissipate (if it ever does) even after washing them. I don’t think I want to subject our guy to that harsh rubber smell

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
I would use the vinyl floor that lowes has on a roll for the flooring. For the heat mat just buy some big porcelain floor tiles and place them under the mat
That’s perfect! We were considering just tiling the whole thing too, but thought that would keep the whole enclosure too cool for our liking. This sounds like a perfect marriage of the two mediums. Never even dawned on us to combine the two. Thanks for the idea!!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Why not get some 45 mil pond liner? It would be waterproof, thick enough not to tear, and bendable enough that you can have it go up a few inches around the sides, to make sure liquid doesn't escape under. Amazon has many options. Read reviews, to make sure what you buy is heavy duty, odorless, and 'fish safe' (thereby also being tortoise safe).