New Horsfield

DazKit90

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi Guys
Newbie here
I’ve had my tortoise Leo for around 3 weeks now and have been testing substrate out
He’s a baby Horsfield, probably around 6 months I think.
I’ve tried him on ‘tortoise sand’, Coco Coir and now onto Rainforest Bark
He seems to prefer the rainforest bark and I mist it each morning and have a thin layer of Coco Coir underneath
Have uploaded a picture of the table, any tips or ideas of anything I need to improve would be great.
(He has a separate compartment to hide in that isn’t on the photograph this is the same substrate with some hay to hide in).
The heating in the basking area is normally around 32 Celsius and 24 Celsius at the opposite end.
I’ll be upgrading the table size as he grows bigger too, this is just to settle him in with & just waiting for my slate feeding slab to arrive
Thanks for any advice :)1D916BEF-F777-4126-95E3-F75812A0BDE5.jpeg

Attachments

• EF77E5D4-FE91-4892-ABB4-0C1C432786BF.jpeg
    EF77E5D4-FE91-4892-ABB4-0C1C432786BF.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
So, I would out a tile under the basking spot, remove some of the smaller rocks (just in case) and also raise the basking temps to around 35 degrees Celsius

How many square feet is the enclosure?

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
So, I would out a tile under the basking spot, remove some of the smaller rocks (just in case) and also raise the basking temps to around 35 degrees Celsius

How many square feet is the enclosure?
Oh, you have a Horsfield then lower it to around 30 degrees Celsius. Sorry didn't notice that part

DazKit90

Lancashire
Oh, you have a Horsfield then lower it to around 30 degrees Celsius. Sorry didn't notice that part

Thank you for the advice. will sort all that out :)

His table is currently 3ft x 1.5ft (this was just a starter kit).

More than happy to swap to a bigger table sooner rather than later, If the advice is that size is too small?

Thanks again for the help

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
Thank you for the advice. will sort all that out :)

His table is currently 3ft x 1.5ft (this was just a starter kit).

More than happy to swap to a bigger table sooner rather than later, If the advice is that size is too small?

Thanks again for the help
How big are you willing to go? Because an adult horsefield tortoise will need around 35 square feet. If you are willing to build a enclosure that big right of the back, that go for it.