New Horsefield

Emma Yorkshire

Location (City and/or State)
Durham
Hi
Just looking for some advice. My table is built and everything else on order but just looking for a bit of last minute advice, the tortoise will be young.
I have bought 2x temp/humidty thermometers, is the ideal warm temp 32°? Is there an ideal humidity, iv read young ones need it to be more humid?
What should I do straight out of box so to speak? Pop him straight in and not handle for a few days?
Do they have to be a certain age before I let him out in the garden or can I let him straight out? Can you let them out in the living room supervised on a carpet?

Also they have Hermanns and Horsefileds. I am pretty much decided on a Horsfeild. Hoever I am going to look at them next week, should I suddenly decide I prefer the Hermann would that make a difference to my table set up?

thanks all

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

This is a great place to learn about tortoises, and to ask questions in a safe environment.

Russian & Hermann reference guide (1).png

That's a good general guide to Russians, and there's a thread in the sub-forum that should give you more details.

Good luck, and please post pics when you can!

Jamie

Emma Yorkshire

Durham
Thanks for that sheet. Hopefully someone will reply about my first day questions because I can't find anything about that online

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Hermanns care is virtually the same, so no changes would need to be made if you changed your mind.

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Thanks for that sheet. Hopefully someone will reply about my first day questions because I can't find anything about that online
First thing you do is give him/her a warm soak and then put him/her in the enclosure. I'd suggest soaking daily for a couple weeks then go to every other day until he/she is a year old. It will take a couple days to acclimate so don't panic if he/she doesn't eat right away.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
You should soak him right after you get him, then dry him and put him in the cage, with food offered and let him be, only offering food every day after it dries up/gets eaten/ soils. You should never let him out on the ground in your room at any age, and in the garden if it is enclosed you could let him at 4+ inches.