New Horsefield Parents

xadina

Location (City and/or State)
Kent
Evening All,

We've made a decision to become Tortoise parents, and I've spent the entire day researching everything there is to know ?. My granddad has had a horse field who is now over 60 years old! So I knew a little about them already.

I'm really keen to get some further advice / support from here. I've already made good progress in understanding why a table top would be a better option for our newbie for example.

Something I'm really keen on is growing my own food. Is this something anyone has experience in? We're a ground floor flat and I have a balcony and large grassed area with easy access. I already grow a lot of different flowers too so I'm keen to expand ready for when we get our own tortoise.

Thanks!

Adina

Steviemonty

Norwich uk
Evening All,

We've made a decision to become Tortoise parents, and I've spent the entire day researching everything there is to know ?. My granddad has had a horse field who is now over 60 years old! So I knew a little about them already.

I'm really keen to get some further advice / support from here. I've already made good progress in understanding why a table top would be a better option for our newbie for example.

Something I'm really keen on is growing my own food. Is this something anyone has experience in? We're a ground floor flat and I have a balcony and large grassed area with easy access. I already grow a lot of different flowers too so I'm keen to expand ready for when we get our own tortoise.

Thanks!

Adina
Hi and I hope you will enjoy being horsfield parents....iam too a 1 year old..lots of advice on here so dont be afraid to ask members anything. They will always help..unfortunately iam still learning myself so advice would be better left to the guys on here..and good luck with your new tortoise. Xx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Evening All,

Thanks!

Adina
A tortoise table is only good because you can make it very large for an adult tortoise. A closed chamber would be better for a baby and easier for you to maintain the correct conditions in. It seems that most people in the UK allow their houses to get very cold (by our standards) in the winter time. A large closed chamber would make it very easy to maintain the correct conditions for an adult too if this is the case in your flat.

Also be aware that most of the info you find out in the world, from vets, and especially from the pet shop, is wrong. Tortoise keeping knowledge has advanced tremendously in the last 10 years, but much of the tortoise community has not kept up. Check this out for the correct care info:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm really keen to get some further advice / support from here. I've already made good progress in understanding why a table top would be a better option for our newbie for example

Hi, and welcome!

I think that you are going to find that our husbandry methods are very different from what you have been reading on other sites, and different from what your grandfather has told you. There have been huge improvements in tortoise care in the last 10 years or so. We advocate the latest, most up to date methods.

Are you planning on a hatchling or an adult? The reason I ask is your statement above re' a tortoise table. If you get an adult, you are correct...an indoor table along with a safe outdoor enclosure is perfect. However, for a hatchling, a table is inadequate for maintaining the proper heat and humidity needed by babies. You would need a closed chamber type enclosure.

As far as growing food, most all of us grow (or try, at least) food for our tortoises.

I'm going to post several links for you to read. Please read them, and then come back and ask questions. We'll help you figure out exactly what you need. We have many members from UK, and they will help you with where to buy items at the best price. Some things need to be bought at a pet store or ordered online, but don't ask them for advice. They will steer you wrong. All they want is your money...the majority of them know nothing about torts.

I'm posting a care sheet, an explanation of heating needs for a hatchling, info on closed chambers, how to make an outdoor enclosure, and a very looong foods list.

4 elements of heating:

Compiled by Tom:
Good foods for tortoises are "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radiccio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned. The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales." Cactus is a great food to rotate in the diet, as it is high in calcium.

You don't need to feed all of these at one time, just make sure your tortoise is getting access to different types of food. As you get more experienced, you can find the better types of food listed on the care sheets.

Here are a whole bunch of non-grocery store suggestions.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Nasturtium
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:

There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:

"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html

Homegrown alfalfa

Mazuri Tortoise Chow

ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Ones that you can buy in every store:
Arugula
Lambs lettuce
Chicory
Kale
Mustard greens
Organic kohlrabi leafs
Organic carrot leafs
Organic radish leafs
Dandelions
Radiccio

Their main diet should be broad leaf weeds, succulents and grasses. Store bought foods are okay, but not the best. Collards and dandelions are a good food, but neither should be used every day. Check out the plant ID section for lots of ideas on weeds to feed. You can get spineless opuntia cactus pads from most Mexican grocery stores, or grow them yourself. You can also easily grow grape leaves, african hibiscus, regular hibiscus (if it will survive in your area), and mulberry leaves. You can try red apple, ice plant, and jade plant too. Also look into Gazania, pansies, nasturtiums, carnations, geraniums and many others. At the grocery store, favor endive and escarole, but also use cilantro, carrot tops, mustard and turnip greens, bok choy, radiccio, swiss chard, watercress, parsley, all the lettuces, etc. Lots of variety is best. There are also tortoise "weed" seed mixes that you can grow. I like the "Testudo Mix" from Tortoisesupply.com.
Buckwheat; cactus; vetch; Mohave aster; creosote bush; desert four o’clock; tacoma stans; bladderpod; globe mallow; goldenhead; burro weed; so many things!

xadina

Kent
A tortoise table is only good because you can make it very large for an adult tortoise. A closed chamber would be better for a baby and easier for you to maintain the correct conditions in. It seems that most people in the UK allow their houses to get very cold (by our standards) in the winter time. A large closed chamber would make it very easy to maintain the correct conditions for an adult too if this is the case in your flat.

Also be aware that most of the info you find out in the world, from vets, and especially from the pet shop, is wrong. Tortoise keeping knowledge has advanced tremendously in the last 10 years, but much of the tortoise community has not kept up. Check this out for the correct care info:

Hey Tom,

thanks for this - humidity is something I had considered but not admittedly appreciated. You raise some really good points in here and I’ll take them on board :)

Reactions: Tom

xadina

Kent
Hi, and welcome!

I think that you are going to find that our husbandry methods are very different from what you have been reading on other sites, and different from what your grandfather has told you. There have been huge improvements in tortoise care in the last 10 years or so. We advocate the latest, most up to date methods.

Are you planning on a hatchling or an adult? The reason I ask is your statement above re' a tortoise table. If you get an adult, you are correct...an indoor table along with a safe outdoor enclosure is perfect. However, for a hatchling, a table is inadequate for maintaining the proper heat and humidity needed by babies. You would need a closed chamber type enclosure.

As far as growing food, most all of us grow (or try, at least) food for our tortoises.

I'm going to post several links for you to read. Please read them, and then come back and ask questions. We'll help you figure out exactly what you need. We have many members from UK, and they will help you with where to buy items at the best price. Some things need to be bought at a pet store or ordered online, but don't ask them for advice. They will steer you wrong. All they want is your money...the majority of them know nothing about torts.

I'm posting a care sheet, an explanation of heating needs for a hatchling, info on closed chambers, how to make an outdoor enclosure, and a very looong foods list.

4 elements of heating:

Compiled by Tom:
Good foods for tortoises are "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radiccio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned. The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales." Cactus is a great food to rotate in the diet, as it is high in calcium.

You don't need to feed all of these at one time, just make sure your tortoise is getting access to different types of food. As you get more experienced, you can find the better types of food listed on the care sheets.

Here are a whole bunch of non-grocery store suggestions.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Nasturtium
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:

There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:

"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html

Homegrown alfalfa

Mazuri Tortoise Chow

ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Ones that you can buy in every store:
Arugula
Lambs lettuce
Chicory
Kale
Mustard greens
Organic kohlrabi leafs
Organic carrot leafs
Organic radish leafs
Dandelions
Radiccio

Their main diet should be broad leaf weeds, succulents and grasses. Store bought foods are okay, but not the best. Collards and dandelions are a good food, but neither should be used every day. Check out the plant ID section for lots of ideas on weeds to feed. You can get spineless opuntia cactus pads from most Mexican grocery stores, or grow them yourself. You can also easily grow grape leaves, african hibiscus, regular hibiscus (if it will survive in your area), and mulberry leaves. You can try red apple, ice plant, and jade plant too. Also look into Gazania, pansies, nasturtiums, carnations, geraniums and many others. At the grocery store, favor endive and escarole, but also use cilantro, carrot tops, mustard and turnip greens, bok choy, radiccio, swiss chard, watercress, parsley, all the lettuces, etc. Lots of variety is best. There are also tortoise "weed" seed mixes that you can grow. I like the "Testudo Mix" from Tortoisesupply.com.
Buckwheat; cactus; vetch; Mohave aster; creosote bush; desert four o’clock; tacoma stans; bladderpod; globe mallow; goldenhead; burro weed; so many things!

Hey Karen,

Appreciate you putting this all together for me!!

Yeah - I know things are completely different with my granddads tortoise. Although he’s done a good job keeping them alive and happy for so long I like to take some advice from him but cognizant hatchlings have more needs than a fully grown.

I have been contemplating what was better a table or a viv and after viewing other websites and two amazing ladies on YouTube (this wasn’t my only research base, just who I felt was the best) who keep tortoises in the south of England, where I am the tortoise table seemed like a better option.

My plan (and at this point I now feel like I know oh so little so please advise me ?) is to have our tort table in the living room which is the hottest room in the flat. Temperature never dips below 22-23 degrees C (77f) overnight - usually 25-27 during the day in summer! But a constant would be 22-23 at all times - I like a warm home to my gas bills demise! Anyway so after looking into temps I decided this would be fine and am considering a ceramic lamp on a thermostat to switch on if the temp is any lower overnight.

The tort table has an open side and an enclosed side for ref.

The substrate I was going to use was a mix of untreated top soil and possibly sand but a higher ratio of top soil. To mimic the humidity this would be kept damp.

Really happy to take onboard things that I can do to make a difference, my main thing is that I want to provide the best home for our potential new baby. It’s not going to be perfect ... but I wouldn’t want them to be uncomfortable and grow with deformities or illnesses.

xadina

Kent
Hi and I hope you will enjoy being horsfield parents....iam too a 1 year old..lots of advice on here so dont be afraid to ask members anything. They will always help..unfortunately iam still learning myself so advice would be better left to the guys on here..and good luck with your new tortoise. Xx

Thank you :)

it’s quite overwhelming with all of the information there is to take on board. I suppose with anything when you learn the nature of your tortoise it’s easier to act sometimes on instinct. I think because I don’t already have this I want to make sure I’m set up to give them a good start in life :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The substrate I was going to use was a mix of untreated top soil and possibly sand but a higher ratio of top soil.
Bought-in-a-bag soil should never be used as a tortoise substrate. It is made from composted yard waste and it could be toxic. Could be toxic plants like oleander or azaleas, or it could be clippings treated with pesticides, fungicides or herbicides. The soil makers do not intentionally for little animals to be living on their product in small indoor enclosures.

Likewise, sand should never be used, not in any amount, because it is a serious impaction risk, and also a potential skin and eye irritant.

Suitable safe substrates are mentioned in the care sheet I linked for you.

xadina

Kent
Bought-in-a-bag soil should never be used as a tortoise substrate. It is made from composted yard waste and it could be toxic. Could be toxic plants like oleander or azaleas, or it could be clippings treated with pesticides, fungicides or herbicides. The soil makers do not intentionally for little animals to be living on their product in small indoor enclosures.

Likewise, sand should never be used, not in any amount, because it is a serious impaction risk, and also a potential skin and eye irritant.

Suitable safe substrates are mentioned in the care sheet I linked for you.

thank you - I’ve made sure the soil is untreated and safe to use was recommended by a close friend who keeps leopard tortoises. I also bought some orchid bark as saw that was mentioned too so will figure out what works best etc.

xadina

Kent
We decided against the Horsefield as his left eye didn’t open fully and after reading up I thought I’d avoid. Breeder had an 8 month old leopard which we fell in love with.

when I’ve set everything up - boris will come home and I can’t wait! ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank you - I’ve made sure the soil is untreated and safe to use was recommended by a close friend who keeps leopard tortoises. I also bought some orchid bark as saw that was mentioned too so will figure out what works best etc.
All bought in a bag soil is untreated. No one knows what is in that bag. No one can know if its safe or not. People have been using and recommending soil as a substrate for years. We know better now, but many people still think it is okay. Its a big gamble.

What works best for leopard tortoises is the fine grade orchid bark.

Leopard tortoise care is very different than Russian care, so here is the info for the leopards:

xadina

Kent
Morning / Afternoon / Evening All.

Just wanted to thank you all for your help and advice - I've taken most on board and am trying to do my best.

We're picking up Boris today & I'm extremely anxious / excited. Really want him to have a nice home & hope he likes what we've acheived from him. I've found it difficult trying to figure out what's best as everyone I've spoken to in person / read online seems to have their own opinion on whats good for them ? I'm hoping what I've done is good enough for now and will try to improve as I go.

He's 8 months old - not sure if I mentioned that - would he still class as a hatchling? My nextdoor neighbours have a horsefield who is TINY so thought Boris may be considered at the next stage now

We naturally maintain around 24-27c during the day and evening where I've put him, his basking area is around 31-32c. Humidity in his enclosed space sits around 75% and elsewhere we're at the 60% mark. I've put him near a window too for some natural UV and so he doesn't feel too cooped up... Maybe I'm unecessarily worrying about that! Will move him in winter as I think by the window will be too cold - he will probably end up in one of the bedrooms :) Something I want/need to incorporate is a humid hide, I think I'll look into getting that this weekend when I can go around a few shops - which in the current climate I'm finding more difficult than usual.

It's going to be pretty hot in Kent this week - highs of up to 30c (that's extremely hot for us). If I was to let boris have a wander I'm worried about the following...
  1. He wont have his basking lamp when he wanders indoors / on our patio is that OK? I'm assuming so as there currently are no clouds so he can have a nice lil sunbathe in peace
  2. Should I move his water / food out too?
  3. Should I time his free reign so he doesnt get itchy feet when I put him back in his enclosure?
I'd really love to let him have a wander on the lawn out front but I know they use pesticides and I'm not comfortable with taking any risk. Eventually we are going to grass up a portion of our balcony and tortoise proof it for him to walk around. My dad is making us a planter so I'll be able to grow his food at home soonish too - which will be easier than trekking through the lands we have near us... Living in the countryside has it's benefits! I've also found an app where I can scan a plant and find out if its safe for him so feeling a little happier on the food front.

I'll stop blabbering now.

Adina