New-hopefully turtle mom!

EmilyFrady

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I’m from north Georgia (super up north in the mountains) I’ve recently had a turtle in my yard digging in multiple spots and she finally found her a good place and laid her eggs!
I have marked the nest by sticking some small twigs in the ground around the nest. I would absolutely love to keep one once they begin to hatch (if that’s a good idea) I would like some advice. I’ve always loved turtles but have never had one as a sweet little pet! I’m an avid animal lover and this just makes my heart so happy ?❤
attached photo is mama turtle preparing her nest!

278F0F21-9660-4A74-9A4D-0E3AC0831353.jpeg

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
taking a tortoise/turtle out the wild is never a good idea. Depending on your state laws it might be illegal, plus the more that are in the wild the more people can enjoy their beauty. There are plenty of good breeders that have captive bred tortoises and turtles.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I’m from north Georgia (super up north in the mountains) I’ve recently had a turtle in my yard digging in multiple spots and she finally found her a good place and laid her eggs!
I have marked the nest by sticking some small twigs in the ground around the nest. I would absolutely love to keep one once they begin to hatch (if that’s a good idea) I would like some advice. I’ve always loved turtles but have never had one as a sweet little pet! I’m an avid animal lover and this just makes my heart so happy ?❤
attached photo is mama turtle preparing her nest!
I also live in GA. Welcome to the forum. That's an Eastern Box turtle and unfortunately they're illegal to own here in GA. You can legally own an ornate box turtle though because they're not native.

EmilyFrady

Georgia
taking a tortoise/turtle out the wild is never a good idea. Depending on your state laws it might be illegal, plus the more that are in the wild the more people can enjoy their beauty. There are plenty of good breeders that have captive bred tortoises and turtles.
Oh so glad I came here for questions! I’ll keep my eyes open for them to hatch so I can get some pictures! I find 2-5 turtles roaming my yard each week so I just love looking at them! on another note, I will create a turtle garden outside for them since we see them so frequently! Thank you so much!!

EmilyFrady

Georgia
What a great idea. I love your enthusiasm for the momma and her babies!
I just love wildlife, especially when it’s in my yard! This was a sweet little baby I found a few days ago roaming around my Lily’s! Quick photo and places right back where he was!

SouthCarolina
You should plant blackberry, Raspberry blueberry, and make a compost pile if you don’t mind slugs and snails.
It’s like opening up a buffet restaurant for them.
Banana is another favorite dessert but I guess Blue Ridge is a bit too cold for planting bananas.