New home needed for my Leopard Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florafawn

5 Year Member
After much deliberation I've decided to re-home my Leopard tortoise. I've recently just registered on tortoise forum, but have been a reader of the forum and a tortoise keeper for a long time. I feel safe reaching out to this tortoise loving community and know this is my best possible place to find her a good home.

Sabu my 17 year old female lives with my husband and I in Minneapolis, Mn. She lives indoors for more than half of the year in a large properly heated/lighted enclosure that she's quickly outgrowing and outside during our brief summer months where she has freedom to graze, bask in the sun or nap in one of her many shaded hideouts. Our yard has become a tortoise paradise. She's a little bumpy as there were very few tortoise resources when I bought her and much of the information provided back then wasn't entirely correct. Since then we've learned so much thanks to the help of this forum and similar resources. We've always done our absolute best to provide exceptional care, food and environments. Her health and well being and access to green outdoor spaces - healthy food sources and hydration are our absolute priorities. Changes have occurred in our lives and household limiting our ability to expand her indoor space and this is a contributing factor in our difficult decision to let her go. I would love for someone to adopt her and possibly breed her.

I feel like she would possibly have a better life in a warmer climate where she can live outdoors more than a few months of the year. Please know this is not judgment on those who keep tortoises in cold climates, it's simply my opinion in regard to Sabu and our situation. We will keep very open minds and will not exclude anyone based on location alone. Proper care is our first priority.

I would be open to driving her miles in order to find a good home for her. I'm reluctant to ship her due to her size and because I know little regarding this process but would be open to leaning more. This is not a money making deal for us we just want to find a good home for our darling Sabu. I would be happy to answer any questions and provide photos to those who are interested. I'm not finding the option to attached photos to this post - please message me.

Thank you!
Lisa

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
What are you using, something like photobucket?

Florafawn

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
What are you using, something like photobucket?

Hello Jacqui!
Thanks for your reply. I successfully posted photos in my introduction and will reply to your pm with more photos.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-75082.html

I do not use photo bucket. I was able to attach actual files in my intro post but I can't seem to find the same photo options on this thread. I'll be in touch shortly!

Thanks so much,
Lisa

jenniferayers

5 Year Member
I might be able to take her. I live in Austin, Texas, and have a sulcata, who has the freedom to roam outside for almost ten months out of the year. She has a dogloo, with a heated pig mat for the winter, for milder days, and also shares a heated shed with our warm blooded pets (goats, chickens, etc.) for the coldest days. Ours seems super happy, I've had her since she was a hatchling, 18 years ago) and we're in the process of building a big greenhouse off the shed, so that the reptiles get more sunshine during the winter. Let me know if you'd be interested in re-homing her here.

Florafawn said:
After much deliberation I've decided to re-home my Leopard tortoise. I've recently just registered on tortoise forum, but have been a reader of the forum and a tortoise keeper for a long time. I feel safe reaching out to this tortoise loving community and know this is my best possible place to find her a good home.

Sabu my 17 year old female lives with my husband and I in Minneapolis, Mn. She lives indoors for more than half of the year in a large properly heated/lighted enclosure that she's quickly outgrowing and outside during our brief summer months where she has freedom to graze, bask in the sun or nap in one of her many shaded hideouts. Our yard has become a tortoise paradise. She's a little bumpy as there were very few tortoise resources when I bought her and much of the information provided back then wasn't entirely correct. Since then we've learned so much thanks to the help of this forum and similar resources. We've always done our absolute best to provide exceptional care, food and environments. Her health and well being and access to green outdoor spaces - healthy food sources and hydration are our absolute priorities. Changes have occurred in our lives and household limiting our ability to expand her indoor space and this is a contributing factor in our difficult decision to let her go. I would love for someone to adopt her and possibly breed her.

I feel like she would possibly have a better life in a warmer climate where she can live outdoors more than a few months of the year. Please know this is not judgment on those who keep tortoises in cold climates, it's simply my opinion in regard to Sabu and our situation. We will keep very open minds and will not exclude anyone based on location alone. Proper care is our first priority.

I would be open to driving her miles in order to find a good home for her. I'm reluctant to ship her due to her size and because I know little regarding this process but would be open to leaning more. This is not a money making deal for us we just want to find a good home for our darling Sabu. I would be happy to answer any questions and provide photos to those who are interested. I'm not finding the option to attached photos to this post - please message me.

Thank you!
Lisa

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I too am available if needed. I saved up enough money to build a new enclosure for a new tort. i live in the Bay Area California. She will have her own outdoor enclosure. If you plan to go w/ me let me know so i can start on building her outdoor enclosure.

EmJoy

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
Want to take a trip to Florida? I'd be more than happy to give Sabu a good home.

Janine2566

5 Year Member
Southern CA
I am in Southern CA and have 2 russians, a ca desert tort and a few turtles so have experience and a warm climate. Do you all need a vacation? I would come to you but school has started so no vacation time now.

Florafawn

5 Year Member
Hello and thanks so much for your interest. I'm happy to announce that Sabu has found a new home! Thank you to everyone who offered to adopt her. I really appreciate all of your interest and support! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.