new home for my homie home's....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gergenhime

5 Year Member
Just thought I would post a couple picks of my setup I completed last night. Was trying to find a way to use the mvb bulb without it being too intense for the homes so decided going big was my only option. It's a 300 gallon Rubbermaid tub and was extremely difficult to get upstairs. The hide is his old enclosure (a 54 gallon roughneck tote). If you guys see anything I should change I would love to hear from y'all.

IMG_20130113_144924.jpg IMG_20130113_144937.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Good start!

The first thing that jumps out at me is still the light. Now some have no problem with it. How is yours doing now it's in the big enclosure? Most of mine prefer really low level lighting, like those long tube plant lights. I also have concerns with the two end lamps being clipped on. Those clips often fail, sending the fixture with the hot bulb down into the surrounding area where burns and fires can happen. Not sure why you have so many? What temp are you keeping it at?

The second thing is the water source. From my experience with that kind of dish, they are very shallow. A Homes will want to get into the water dish and soak. Water needs to be about as deep as where the two shells meet. I find the terra cotta planter water saucers work well, you just need to get one big enough for the tortoise and stilll deep enough. The terra cotta is heavy, so doesn't tip over like the plastic, but even that is not a bad thing.

What are you feeding?

I love you have a mist system and real plants. :) You know with that window there, you really may not need additional lighting, certainly not much of it atleast.

Once more looking very good!

gergenhime

5 Year Member
I did actually staple those clip lights to the wood squares I mounted to the frame out of fear of the same thing but you are probably right, still too much light. As far as the fogger goes though it's actually just a reptifogger hooked in to a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it. I feed it from a 5 gallon bucket above it which is heated to 100 degrees using a 100 watt aquarium heater I was able to hack and get much higher than its default limit and that seems to make the humidity much easier to keep up. The water loses about 20 degrees so its around 80 when it hits the enclosure. The temperature just below the light is running from 83-87 degrees and in the hide it's 71 and humidity from 70-90%. So far the main thing I've seen him eat a lot of is the baby Porto Bella mushrooms we picked up and I've been mixing those with a spring mix of several different greens. He'll eat some of the greens occasionally but I think it's only when it just so happens to be attached to a mushroom. I can't get him to try a mealworm or super worm yet but still trying to find a source of protein he likes. I may just get rid of those extra che's and just replace that mvb with a 150 watt Che. Also the substrate is lightly heated with some low wattage heat tape. Thanks a lot for looking over things for me!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
LOVE the mist system too!
can you give us a few shots of that and describe it in detail......maybe a new thread?!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking really nice. I can't believe you got that big tots in. That must have been a job:D

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
I'd love to see pics of your heated fogger setup. Im mulling around plans for an under-substrate heating system using PVC , heated water and a submersible pump.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Nice set up! Where did you get the 300 gallon container from?

jstec

5 Year Member
That looks amazing! Best indoor set up I have seen so far I love the misting system

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Where did you get that mist/fogger from?? I am trying to find something like this right now for my Cherry Head Redfoot Tortoise. This would be GREAT for what I'm trying to do. I just can NOT find something like this at all and getting a little annoyed. So maybe you can direct me in the right direction. :)

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
Pet smart had some nice looking misting systems last time I was there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.