New Hermans Tortoise Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krull

5 Year Member
Hey all!

Last week, my friend's mom found a stray tortoise in her driveway. She gave him to my mom the next day, and I said I would take him. So my mom took him to the local wildlife center she volunteers at and they confirmed it a is 6-12 year old male Hermans Tortoise, not native to AZ. So it may have been a pet left behind.

Anyway, my husband and I took him in and named him Krull The Warrior King (aka Honey). He has been hanging out in the backyard since then, and he gets along fine with our foster dog, a bulldog mix. I love this little guy! But I haven't seen him since Friday night! It's been almost a week, and I'm not worried, just a little sad. Where is my Krull?! lol

I figure he's dug himself a nice hole or something and is getting ready to hibernate, or maybe just hiding from this 112 degree heat we've been having! I don't blame him...

So I guess my question is this. How long should I expect to not see my little tortoise? Thanks!

015-8.jpg

014-10.jpg

012-7.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome... Hopefully it's just buried somewhere in the yard...

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Welcome.

The last picture is so cute!
He looks like a lovely tortoise.
(I'm also in love with your dog)

Can't offer much help I'm afraid but he has probably just buried himself.
Am sure someone with a lot more knowledge on hermanns will come along shortly. (And i do have a certain person in mind :))

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The tortoise in the photo is not a Hermann's tortoise. It's a Marginated tortoise, Testudo marginata. You may also want to check around your area to see if someone has lost their Marginated tortoise, it was obviously someone's pet.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I realize your overoyed at having a new pet, I think your Mother's friend forgot something very important. She failed to try to find the tortoises owner. Please do so now, even if you don't have the animal currently, the old owner deserved to know where the tortoise may now be. That being said, check your yard and surrounding neighborhood carefully. Tortoises are good at both hiding and escaping (which the previous owner found out the hard way, too). He may have dug down, be hiding in shade or under a plant. They can fit in the smallest of areas and even climb fences.

Status
Not open for further replies.