New here! :)

Budbud62808

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hi, I just joined this evening. My husband and I have a box turtle, Budbud. He was given to my husband by his 2nd grade teacher. His parents have had this turtle for 23 years. Last august we took custody (hehe) of BudBud and brought him to live with us. As per my inlaws BudBud eats only produce. Mostly lettuce with "treats". They feed him a few times a week and change his water bowl. In the year we have had him we feed him fresh produce everyday. We give him lettuce + some other produce everyday. As well as giving fresh water everyday. BudBud is an extraordinary turtle. He is social and active. He never hides in his shell even when my 2yo holds him. He plays on the floor with my 2 boys and their dinosaurs. I have never weighed him because I didn't know I should. The past few weeks he has been spending soo much time sitting in his water. I can't find a definitive life span for box turtles or any info on box turtles spending too much time in the water. He still eats. Sometimes I move him out to eat. Any thoughts or advise. Thank you for letting me join!! :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. . I would really like to see a pict of the box turtle and it's enclosure , before I answer any questions . I've seen too many Russians called box turtles so I hope you understand . Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Box turtles really like the water, and some of them do spend a lot of time just sitting there, however, it also could be an indication of something wrong with the turtle. I'll bet he's never been checked for parasites.

Do you ever feed him worms, bugs or animal protein?

I would like to see a picture too. What Grandpa Turtle said is really quite common.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Budbud62808

Illinois
image.jpg image.jpg
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. . I would really like to see a pict of the box turtle and it's enclosure , before I answer any questions . I've seen too many Russians called box turtles so I hope you understand . Thank you

Budbud62808

Illinois
Welcome to the Forum!

Box turtles really like the water, and some of them do spend a lot of time just sitting there, however, it also could be an indication of something wrong with the turtle. I'll bet he's never been checked for parasites.

Do you ever feed him worms, bugs or animal protein?

I would like to see a picture too. What Grandpa Turtle said is really quite common.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
We don't feed him anything like that.
We do have a bigger tank for him that isn't set up yet, I've asked people at the pet store about his diet and they told me that since he's been on the same diet for so many years that it was ok to continue feeding him what we always had. I know they may not be well educated on turtles but it was the best I could do before I found this site!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Definitely a box turtle. Since Budbud is accustom to being handled, you could probably, easily trim down his beak... it's a bit overgrown. Budbud would probably love you even more of he got some yummy worms!! You can buy canned grasshopper, crickets, river shrimp and snails at the pet store, but my Flash LOVES hunting down European Nightcrawlers!!

See if you can find a flat rock to put Budbud's food on, it will help keep his beak nice and trimmed.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree, live food is needed! Get some nightcrawlers from the petstore. And yes, he needs a much larger enclosure. Try also putting a cuttlebone in his enclosure. He will chew on that for calcium and it will help keep his beak trimmed.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you for the Picts of your box turtle . And with the help of your Picts you see how everybody says it needs it's beak trimed ( by putting the food on a tile )and the box turtle needs protein . But have a great day .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

Budbud62808

Illinois
We will def take all your suggestions. I am still wondering why all of a sudden he is spending soo much time in his water. He has lived in this same tank with the same diet for 20+ years. The sudden change has me worried.

greenbean92

Hello and welcome! I know,nothing about box turtles, but I hope you get the answers you need :)