New here

Enelson66

Location (City and/or State)
Warrensburg, Mo
Just recently purchased a sulcata tortoise for our daughter. He is just a baby so it's a learning experience for all of us. I see some people let there animal soak in warm water. Is this something that should be done on a regular basis?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
YES! Water has benefit of hydration and quality shell growth avoiding bumpy pyramiding. Soaking daily or at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes. Shallow warm water should be round 33 degrees C. I have 2 bowls and move over after 10 min as water is dirty and cooler. Others put the bowl in the enclosure under heat lamp for warmth. Up to you how it is done but needs doing. In addition the enclosure needs to be enclosed with humidity. There are very good updated care sheets on here for your reference.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Read forums african tortoise for past threads that will provide helpful do's and don'ts

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
In addition to the above care sheet, here's more that you will find helpful.
Welcome to the forum!

4 elements of heating: By Tom
There are four elements to heating and lighting:

Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.

Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.

Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.

UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html