New here

Tortisedonk7

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello, just joining the forum. Recently got 2 baby cherry heads.
trying to post something to ‘Tortoise heath’ but the system won’t let me.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Redfoot keeper.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Trying to post something but it won’t let me. Says something about my post is ‘spam like’

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello,
I’m new here and looking for some advice.

A week ago I got two baby cherry heads, about 3 months old. One of them (Atlas) won’t eat or poop, however she does drink a lot. She ate some hibiscus leaf and flower the first 2 days then pretty much stopped eating, and seeming hasn’t pooped since then as well. I live in, and keep them in a hot tropical environment so I doubt temperature is an issue. I’m offering most all foods including: hibiscus, shedded carrot, leafy greens, jicama(more recently), little bit of mango and papaya, no pellet food yet. The other Tortise loves to eat most all these things and poops 1-2 times per day (But He hides if not eating)
I think I saw the tiniest bit of poop from Atlas today, it was gray and really sticky /gooey. The only thought I had was that she ate some of the sphagnum moss I use in their hide box and is now impacted. I’m worried if this continues much longer she will die. What can i do for her?

thanks!
Tortoises don't like change. Sometimes it is pretty common for them to eat the first day or so then stop for awhile till they feel secure again. I would just make sure your temperature and humidity is ok and give it a few more days. It's a good sign that the tort is drinking. Try offering some fruit to get it going, banana, pineapple, or strawberry.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, I am sure they will settle down.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks for the tip on the pineapple. She ate a little bit of it this morning.
Great news. Pineapple is a favorite of my torts. I had the same problem you had with one when I first got him and pineapple was what got him going.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
I’m trying to get them in a routine, wake up get a little sun in the morning eat at about 10 am. then I guess they just hide and sleep all day...?
Soaking and ‘play time’ in the evening.
here are some pics of my set up. I know the green one is a little small 14” x 26” but soon they will move to the big one with the grass. 8ft x 2ft

Attachments

• DB075997-24E7-4DED-8B09-BA98A33B4196.jpeg
    DB075997-24E7-4DED-8B09-BA98A33B4196.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • D7CA3696-1DA4-4F13-938A-5F012CE614D2.jpeg
    D7CA3696-1DA4-4F13-938A-5F012CE614D2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
This morning the little one still wouldn’t eat. But then I noticed her scratching around and smelling the substrate.(top soil & coconut core) “what is she looking for” I asked my self, bugs, worms.... so I dug up some small worms from the grass, rinsed em off and oh wow... She loved it!
But she can’t eat only worms. I want/need her to eat the greens/fruit too.
Any ideas?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome
Make sure that any bugs "from the yard" haven't come into contact with any pesticides.
Fruit, flowers, plant material, mushrooms and animal protein can be eaten by a Redfoot.
There will be numerous options every day no matter where you live or the time of year it is.