New here & to Torts, I brought home a sick hatchling Hermann from my Grandson

TortoiseRacket

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Not all vets are trustworthy. I’d talk to @Tom or @Yvonne G before a vet. Many are outdated. I would carry on with the medications but if it is clearly affecting the tortoise in a bad way you should stop. I wish for the best:)
-Mickey

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Thanks Mickey! I will remove the hay. I'm having a heck of a time keeping that humidity up! I've covered the top with the white towels trying to keep temperature and humidity more stable. I know my enclosure is not up to par but I was waiting to see how the little guy does before i make major changes. The vet didn't give me much hope in his survival. She said they show sickness very slowly and can be very sick before we notice the signs.... He came from Backwater Reptiles.com
Cover your enclosure with aluminum foil. It will work much better. Try soaking your baby in carrot baby food, 1/2 water and 1/2 baby carrot food. This will get some nutrition in him. It may help. How are you measuring temps?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
not sure how you tell if an antibiotic is having an adverse affect on a sick or dying animal …….. after a month on antibiotics i'd be considering something else if I didn't see substantial improvement …... some infections do require multiple rounds of antibiotics , but the first round should have produced significant improvement , at least from what I've seen , when it didn't , another antibiotic or treatment imo is in order ….….. i'd keep the tortoise at 85 degrees all the time , a makeshift incubator , humid , damp substrate , and i'd handle him minimal , i'd make sure he could hide and feel safe , i'd give Yvonnes carrot soaks a try ………… some folks here may have very different experiences from mine , but I have never killed a reptile with antibiotics , or an animal for that matter ……. from 20grams to 160lbs …….. I imagine you could with improper dosing ………. viral and parasitic diseases are pretty common in the reptile hobby , especially in the for sale population …….

daniellenc

Maryland
I would not give anymore antibiotics that dosing is nuts! The only way to maintain your temps and humidity is a top. Check out green house covers for now they’re cheap and your lights and heat can be hung in them. Keep soaking and add some carrot baby food to his warm soak water everyday for 30 minutes.

Sabrina8797

Illinois
Cover your enclosure with aluminum foil. It will work much better. Try soaking your baby in carrot baby food, 1/2 water and 1/2 baby carrot food. This will get some nutrition in him. It may help. How are you measuring temps?

Trying the foil! I use a digital gadget just for reptiles to measure humidity and temperature. I am so on the carrot baby food!!! It has drove me nuts I can't get nutrition in him! Thanks for your help.

Sabrina8797

Illinois
not sure how you tell if an antibiotic is having an adverse affect on a sick or dying animal …….. after a month on antibiotics i'd be considering something else if I didn't see substantial improvement …... some infections do require multiple rounds of antibiotics , but the first round should have produced significant improvement , at least from what I've seen , when it didn't , another antibiotic or treatment imo is in order ….….. i'd keep the tortoise at 85 degrees all the time , a makeshift incubator , humid , damp substrate , and i'd handle him minimal , i'd make sure he could hide and feel safe , i'd give Yvonnes carrot soaks a try ………… some folks here may have very different experiences from mine , but I have never killed a reptile with antibiotics , or an animal for that matter ……. from 20grams to 160lbs …….. I imagine you could with improper dosing ………. viral and parasitic diseases are pretty common in the reptile hobby , especially in the for sale population …….
Thank you so much for your input... I really appreciate everyone chiming in. I'm so determined to do all I can for this little fellow.

Sabrina8797

Illinois
I would not give anymore antibiotics that dosing is nuts! The only way to maintain your temps and humidity is a top. Check out green house covers for now they’re cheap and your lights and heat can be hung in them. Keep soaking and add some carrot baby food to his warm soak water everyday for 30 minutes.
Thank You! I'm getting a cover, and starting the carrot soaks tomorrow. (I need baby food)

TortoiseRacket

New York
If he is not eating, mix in a tiny bit of Pangea crested gecko food- mine like watermelon. It attracts the tortoises due to its fruity smell

Chasen

Galveston
The carrot soaks were the turn around for my Little T. As it turned out, the container I use for soaking worked perfectly for the exact level of fluid needed with one jar of baby food mixed with one jar of water. I did this once a day for 3 days (I think some may recommend more than once a day) . Then repeated it again a few weeks later. It was the miracle cure we needed. Wishing you the best possible outcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sabrina, and welcome to the Forum!

The most common cause for a baby tortoise to not eat is because he's not warm enough. And when they stop eating, their eyes swell shut. So I think the most important thing for you to start with is to make sure his whole enclosure, all over the whole thing, is 80-85F degrees. The warm, moist air goes right through a terry towel. Cheryl's advice about the foil was good. Chasen's advice about the carrot baby food soaks was also good. Gerber strained carrots has the highest concentration of vitamin A of all the baby foods. Mix it half and half with warm water in a small bowl then soak the baby in it for a half hour, 45 minutes or so. Place the bowl back inside the covered aquarium to keep it warm. You should see an improvement in his eyes in three days. Once his eyes are open and he can see again, he'll eat.

Sabrina8797

Illinois
What type of UV bulb are you using?
What are you using for night heat and what is the overnight low temp?

Why is the vet prescribing antibiotics? Is there some sign of bacterial infection? Little babies can't handle stuff like that. Did the vet address and correct the cause of the problem, or is she just shooting the tortoise up with some heavy duty medicine and hoping for the best?

Do have any suggestions for me? Should I DC the antibiotic or continue, your thoughts? I'm getting ready to do the carrot soak now. Thanks, I know you're busy!

Sabrina8797

Illinois
Hi Sabrina, and welcome to the Forum!

The most common cause for a baby tortoise to not eat is because he's not warm enough. And when they stop eating, their eyes swell shut. So I think the most important thing for you to start with is to make sure his whole enclosure, all over the whole thing, is 80-85F degrees. The warm, moist air goes right through a terry towel. Cheryl's advice about the foil was good. Chasen's advice about the carrot baby food soaks was also good. Gerber strained carrots has the highest concentration of vitamin A of all the baby foods. Mix it half and half with warm water in a small bowl then soak the baby in it for a half hour, 45 minutes or so. Place the bowl back inside the covered aquarium to keep it warm. You should see an improvement in his eyes in three days. Once his eyes are open and he can see again, he'll eat.
I just saw your post Yvonne, thanks a million for your suggestions. The foil has helped a bunch. I'm heading down now to do the carrot soak. What are your thoughts on continuing the antibiotic? I can give you more info if you need it on the medication.

Sabrina8797

Illinois
The carrot soaks were the turn around for my Little T. As it turned out, the container I use for soaking worked perfectly for the exact level of fluid needed with one jar of baby food mixed with one jar of water. I did this once a day for 3 days (I think some may recommend more than once a day) . Then repeated it again a few weeks later. It was the miracle cure we needed. Wishing you the best possible outcome.
I am so encourage by your story, thanks for sharing! I think this little guy is in pretty bad shape, I just want to give him the best fighting chance I can. I feel I can now do that since I have found all of you! Thanks a million!

Sabrina8797

Illinois
Hello from Florida, and welcome to the Forum. You are absolutely in the right place for help with your tortoise. Thinking warm, healing, positive thoughts!
Thank you! I believe you're right about being in the right place! I'm so thankful I found this forum. I just wish I would have found it when I was thinking about purchasing a tort for my G-Son. I unfortunately can't go back... only forward, and do the best I can.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do have any suggestions for me? Should I DC the antibiotic or continue, your thoughts? I'm getting ready to do the carrot soak now. Thanks, I know you're busy!
You do what you feel is right, but I don't give my tortoises antibiotics unless the vet took a smear and discovered some sort of no-see-ums that antibiotics would kill. I don't believe in giving medication just because.

Chasen

Galveston
I am so encourage by your story, thanks for sharing! I think this little guy is in pretty bad shape, I just want to give him the best fighting chance I can. I feel I can now do that since I have found all of you! Thanks a million!
Thanks and you're welcome. I felt exactly the same and that I was just managing the inevitable. Until I was given some advice on here that turned it all around. I've also been encouraged by reading others stories and have used this forum as an encyclopedia of sorts. I'm grateful for the wisdom imparted by these experienced folks. So, you can't go wrong with this lot. I look forward to to following your progress.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
if you have given your tortoise 7-9 injections of ceftazidime and are seeing no improvement , i'd call and tell the vet ………. if I was on antibiotics for a month and didn't improve at all i'd probably think something wasn't working ………. I've had my share of sick animals , I don't believe I've ever not seen improvement by the 3rd-4rth dose ……..

as far as your vet guessing , they all do ………..