New here! I’m getting a leopard or red foot, I have questions!

ashleyann

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hey everyone, I’m about to finally get my tortoise! I have never had a tortoise before and I need some help. I’ve had many species of reptiles and amphibians, but caring for those are a bit different. I was looking to get a red foot hatchling or a leopard hatchling. I live in Illinois so the climate is different compared to Florida where I see a lot of people posting from. I do plant to keep indoors but, would one species be better for my climate? Or do you prefer one over the other? and why? I also am struggling with choosing the proper light for these guys. Should I have a basking bulb and a UVB or a combo bulb? Heat pad? Night time light? Humidity levels? I do have a temp gun so I can tell the ground temp and air temp. I made some calls to some of the more exotic pet stores within a 2hr radius of me and nobody had what I wanted besides a shop owner said to call in a week because he’ll hopefully be getting one or the other. If that doesn’t work out I’m not sure where to go, to my knowledge there are no breeders in the area and I’ve read mixed reviews about a lot of popular sites. I did just come across tortstork (like 10 minutes ago), is that reputable? Or are there any other amazing breeders I can order from? thank you all, sorry for all the questions!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Both will require high humidity for the first few years if you get a Hatchling. I definitely would not recommend getting one from a Pet store. For heat you can use either a Ceramic heat emitter or a radiant heat panel hooked up to a Thermostat. Your setup for either would be a little different but similar. I've personally bought from Tortstork and definitely recommend him. He's a great guy and will help you with any advice you need.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have a SA Leopard and I love him!
I got him from tortoise town and I dont recommend them EVER.

Lots of amazing and extremely thought out care guides on here by ppl with crazy amounts of experience that will answer all your questions on setup and basic care. Make sure you look them up and read and follow them so you can have a happy, healthy baby. I got info online at multiple sites and it was all old info and following it made my baby sick! After I read and changed all my care to match whats on here he is all better and very happy and active!

One thing I will say, because I think its really important, get a closed chamber!!! Like he said, humidity is so important for both these babies and almost impossible to achieve in an open top. Lots of goog feeds to get ideas for cheap ones on here too

Good luck deciding! They are both amazing tortoises!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Early housing for either is similar. With a leopard you'll have a basking lamp and days will be warmer and nights dropping to 80. With a RF you can have it less bright, no basking lamp, and over all warm consistent temps. Diet for a RF would include some fruit and protein. None of either of those for a leopard.

I don't keep RFs, but here is the care info for leopards:

Most sellers do NOT start babies correctly. Buy only from someone who soaks daily and keeps the babies mostly indoors in a warm humid closed chamber.

KronksMom

Illinois
Keeping a tort in Illinois is definitely more challenging than it would be in other parts of the country, but they are worth all the effort. I have a Russian, much smaller than either of the species you are considering. But someday we'll probably have more :) A couple tips from the same part of the world as you, start a garden now if you haven't already. Even if you end up going with a red foot, he'll still eat a lot of broad leaf weeds that are so much easier to grow than they are to find. And when you grow them, you know they don't have pesticides on them. Another thing to consider is housing. Because of our weather, your tort definitely can't live outside all year round. That's one of the reasons we went with a russian, because he's smaller. Do you have the space to house a fully grown leopard tort or red foot inside? And not just free in your home, that would be dangerous to the tort. The need their own secure enclosure with appropriate substrate and lighting. Some people convert their basements, or a spare room into a tortadise. Is that something you can do? Don't just plan for the baby you're getting, be aware of the adult he or she will grow into, because it will happen a lot faster than you expect.

ashleyann

Illinois
Early housing for either is similar. With a leopard you'll have a basking lamp and days will be warmer and nights dropping to 80. With a RF you can have it less bright, no basking lamp, and over all warm consistent temps. Diet for a RF would include some fruit and protein. None of either of those for a leopard.

I don't keep RFs, but here is the care info for leopards:

Most sellers do NOT start babies correctly. Buy only from someone who soaks daily and keeps the babies mostly indoors in a warm humid closed chamber.
Wow, that care sheet is amazing! It answered so many of my questions and made me feel more confident in owning a tortoise and giving top notch care. Thank you, I appreciate it so much!

ashleyann

Illinois
Keeping a tort in Illinois is definitely more challenging than it would be in other parts of the country, but they are worth all the effort. I have a Russian, much smaller than either of the species you are considering. But someday we'll probably have more :) A couple tips from the same part of the world as you, start a garden now if you haven't already. Even if you end up going with a red foot, he'll still eat a lot of broad leaf weeds that are so much easier to grow than they are to find. And when you grow them, you know they don't have pesticides on them. Another thing to consider is housing. Because of our weather, your tort definitely can't live outside all year round. That's one of the reasons we went with a russian, because he's smaller. Do you have the space to house a fully grown leopard tort or red foot inside? And not just free in your home, that would be dangerous to the tort. The need their own secure enclosure with appropriate substrate and lighting. Some people convert their basements, or a spare room into a tortadise. Is that something you can do? Don't just plan for the baby you're getting, be aware of the adult he or she will grow into, because it will happen a lot faster than you expect.
I definitely have the space to house my tortoise inside. I don’t have an extra room to spare currently, but I will be moving to a bigger house within a few years. The garden is a great idea as well, I was meaning to plant some plants so I’ll target tortoise safe veggies and greens. Thanks!

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
I raised a Redfoot in Illinois from a baby and it went really well. It also took me 5 months to sleep all nite because I was up checking on her heat and humidity most of the nite.I know, a bit obsessive?The only real problem I had was when the seasons changed .I still have to tweek the enclosures every late fall to keep the temp/humidity good.I use an oil heater in the winter next to her enclosure which makes it a whole lot easier to keep the numbers right,I also raised her for the first year and a half in a 50 gallon plastic rubbermade tote( Home depot) with plexiglass over the top of it.After that I built a 6 ft x3ft enclosure.She is now 4 years old and with me in Missouri and doing great.Just remember, that no matter the species you will have a learning curve.Thank goodness you will have this Forum that will be your go to place with reliable info

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
One more thing. Very few seem able to raise a Leopard without horrendous pyramiding. However it seems easier if following care sheets on here to raise pretty smooth non pyramided Red foot tortoises. I hate pyramiding!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Its not that hard to not have your leopard not pyramid if you follow Tom's caresheet exactly. Ive seen tons of people on here that have perfectly smooth baby's by raising them how he does. The problem is from where you got them usually and how long it took you to find this forum lol. My baby is still young, under a year, but following that sheet he is smooth as a baby's butt lol I've seen many his age that are already showing bad signs of pyramiding. Leopards can badly pyramid, redfoots can get shell rot easier, it all depends on husbandry.20200602_182342.jpg

ashleyann

Illinois
I have decided to get a cherry head red foot, so I don’t have to worry as much with pyramiding. What should I do to prevent shell rot?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have decided to get a cherry head red foot, so I don’t have to worry as much with pyramiding. What should I do to prevent shell rot?
I just realized I did a double negative in that last post ? I'm glad you knew what I meant hahaha. I just woke up ?
And thats exciting!! They are so cute! As for how to prevent it, I'm not 100% sure, I think it has to do with how wet your substrate is, but don't quote me on that lol. I just know they get it so keep athletes foot cream around just in case lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You just don't want to have your substrate too wet. The top layer the tortoise is on should be fairly dry. If you do weekly inspections and find it early it's really simple to get rid of.