New Here and New to the Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello, my name is Megan and I live in Orange County, CA :) Nick and I live in a home with two Mastiffs, two rescue kitties, an Oscar fish & pond full of Koi & goldfish. We are looking to add a tortoise to the family and I found this forum in the process. It looks like a wonderful source for tortoise info ;) I just adore tortoises! This will be the first of our own and I am very excited.

I have an application in to the San Diego turtle rescue. I am hoping to hear back from them soon. I look forward to learning lots from all of you!

Megan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Megan. What kind of tortoise are you hoping to adopt? Probably a Calif. desert tortoise, huh? Good luck! They are great tortoises and we're very glad to have you as a "new sister!!"

Yvonne

Megan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome :) I love the desert tortoise, but I was also doing lots of research on the Russian tortoise. We shall see!

I know lots about the difference in their care and sizes, but do the different types have different personalities as well?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Megan :D I'm sure you'll find the right tortoise. :D

Danny

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome Megan! You must be so excited. No matter what kind you get, you came to the right place for a "world of information".

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi Megan and welcome to the forum.:)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum Megan. Both have great personalities. Each tort defiantly has his own. even if you have two of the same species. Just like Dogs each is their very own special self. I have DTs and they will follow me like ducklings and the Russian I have fostered was pretty much the same with a little more of a scowl about it. :p Whichever you decide or whichever chooses you I am sure it will find that special place in your heart. By the way OC has an adoption program through the CTTC as well as many of the other chapters.

Megan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you all :)

We have found a Russian Tortoise for us! I am so excited! I should have him home tomorrow and will get some pictures up. I also heard back from the rescue... they have many needing homes, so I am sending in the application to adopt one :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Sounds like an exciting and happy time at your place. Looking forward to those pictures. :)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello, and welcome to TFO!!! Thats great about your russian, can't wait to see pictures!! Check out www.russiantortoise.org, for some very helpful information. Also when feeding make sure you feed a lot of different foods, so your tort has a geat variety of foods. Are planning on keeping him/her inside or outside?? Again congrats on your new russian, you will love him/her, they have great personalities.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Megan said:
Thank you all :)

We have found a Russian Tortoise for us! I am so excited! I should have him home tomorrow and will get some pictures up. I also heard back from the rescue... they have many needing homes, so I am sending in the application to adopt one :)

Please be aware of the fact that if you adopt a desert tortoise, you will need to provide a different pen than the Russian pen. The two tortoises have different micro organisms and MIGHT make each other sick.

Yvonne

Megan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne. I am only planning to keep one species for now, so it's either the Russian or the Desert :) We are going to rescue one or two. They have lots of orphans needing homes! I am so excited for our new "kids" :)

Jeremy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Megan; Welcome to the forum. I think Russians are a great choice for a first tort. This is the perfect place to find all the info you will need to care for one properly(diet,heating,lighting,ect.)

Jeremy

Megan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, our old man came home yesterday!!!! We went down to the SD rescue and brought home a 70 year old Desert Tortoise :D He is awesome! So much personality and he settled in very well. I am going to take some pictures tonight and give him his own thread. Thanks again for everyone's advice, and for this forum! I have already learned so much and I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on :) I wish I would have brought a tortoise home sooner... I have been missing out on these wonderful guys all this time!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congratulations on your new family member Megan. DT are wonderful torts. Looking forward to seeing pics of him soon.

JimKoz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am a rookie to Forums and tortoises.

You guys know a lot of stuff and have some nice pets. I wanna be like you.

Please tell me what the numbers mean in some signature blocks.
e.g.

Greeks 2.2.4
Dogs 1.1
Fostering DT 2.1

Are these the IP addresses of your pets?

Thanks - great forum
Jim Kozlowski

Attachments

• little03.jpg
    little03.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 12

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Jim - welcome !
The numbers mean how many: males.females.unknown sex
Your tortoise is gorgeous - what's its name?

JimKoz said:
I am a rookie to Forums and tortoises.

You guys know a lot of stuff and have some nice pets. I wanna be like you.

Please tell me what the numbers mean in some signature blocks.
e.g.

Greeks 2.2.4
Dogs 1.1
Fostering DT 2.1

Are these the IP addresses of your pets?

Thanks - great forum
Jim Kozlowski

Status
Not open for further replies.