New heat bulb not hot enough

billie

Hello!

I recently rescued a horse-field tortoise from my mums friend. Shes settled in fine, I've had her nearly two weeks now. On Monday I came home from uni and her UV bulb had died so I went and purchased another one and set it all up. Her temperature stayed between 31 and 32 degrees. Today I noticed her temperature was at 28 degrees! She came with a spare basking bulb, so I swapped the bulbs as I thought the original one may have being going. I swapped the bulbs nearly an hour ago and the temperature is ranging between 25-27 degrees even with the thermostat still set to 32 degrees? Is this normal? Will it get hotter? Does she need a different bulb? Is it because its winter and colder? Shes not in hibernation as I read she was too young.

I'm worried for her as obviously this temperature is too low but I've got the thermostat set correctly! Is it the new UV bulb or the new basking bulb? Please help! Im a newbie to tortoises! I had one bearded dragon about two years ago so I really dont have much reptile experience either :/

The basking bulbs are the yellow/clear ones (not red/blue), thats what she came with. I've read so many websites and books but I am really concerned about the temperature not rising.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

Sounds like you've gotten some wonky care advice there. I hope you will let us help.

- You should not be using a thermostat on your basking bulb. THe basking bulb is meant to simulate the sun and give them a place to warm up during the day, the same way a wild tortoise would move in and out of the sun to maintain the correct body temperature. The basking area directly under your bulb should be around 36-37. You control this temperature by raising or lowering the bulb, or by using a different wattage bulb, or with a rheostat. Room temperature definitely has an effect on this, so lowering the bulb or getting a higher wattage bulb is necessary during colder times when the room temp drops.

- The thermostat can be used with a Ceramic Heating Element, if needed to maintain proper ambient temps in the rest of the enclosure or at night.

- You can run your basking bulb and your UV lamp next to each other simultaneously as long as temps are good.

- What type of UV lamp are you using?

- You should be measuring temps with a remote probed thermometer. You can move the probe around and check temps all over. There are four temps to know, monitor and maintain: Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low. Can you tell us those in your enclosure.

Read these for current, correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

billie

Hello and thank you!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner I've been at work. My mum bought a new heat bulb and has popped it in- the temp at the hot end has gone up to 32 degrees now! Thanks for the advice I've read through the pages :)

We've ordered a higher wattage bulb and a thermostat thingy to measure the heat in the different areas of the viv!

If anyone has any general information about horsefield that would be great! I've read books and some web pages but I often find experience is the best!

I am booking her into the vets tomorrow for general health check and microchip! Any advice on transporting her?

Many thanks again!