new guy dropped off today looks "drunk" when eating

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
this guy walks across the yard perfectly fine but when he was eating today he looked very unstable almost looked like he was drunk? no issues walking and he walks pretty darn fast especially when there is food out. but he was missing some of the food at times when he goes to grab it and almost fell on his face when he tried grabbing the grass in the bowl. he is VERY VERY shy and timid and if you even move he goes in his shell. i drew blood today and its being tested and did a fecal here which came back clean and poop looks normal.. could he just be that scared? otherwise he looks perfect. skin, eyes look great no breathing issues, etc. the people were moving into an appt and couldnt keep him. he looks amazing and very well cared for nice smooth shell and all. he hisses at everything also. they had not spent much time with him the past 5-6 months except to clean and feed / water him. he weighs just over 5 lbs at the moment. first time i have seen this so im curious. also he is being kept by himself. ill bring him in for an xray here beginning of next week also just to have a look see.

thank you for any thoughts

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I've seen this "drunken tortoise tries to eat" scene before with both of my torts. Kinda hilarious. My guess is that he's nervous because you're watching so he's only half focused on getting food in his mouth. He'll get used to you. Give him alone time to eat and explore.
... and stop giving him so much whiskey of course!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not real sure what you mean by drunk. However, I have seen babies miss their food. Pretty normal. Put the food in piles and keep it piled as he eats. Eventually they grow out of the missing the food.
Some tortoises are very scared. You hover over them and they don't know your not going to eat them. Give him time to get used to you and his home and he'll become less scared.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Why not video your concern, upload it to YouTube and then post a link here so we can see your concern?