New growth record! Plus pics.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Steve is about 2 1/2 years old now, he and his brother Rudy are weighed every month, and Steve gained 304 grams last month! This is his PR for weight gain. Total weight now is 2,880 grams (6.3 lbs), and Rudy is about 2 years old and gained 133 grams last month, for a total of 1,739 grams (5.8 lbs).
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383369148.665422.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383369188.485962.jpg

Correction. Rudy is 3.8 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

richybear

5 Year Member
Wow thats quite some growth mine are aged nearly 3 and 4 the 3 years old weighs 1320g and the 4 year old weighs 3120gs so urs are doing reallt well

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is some nice weights and growth. My Tatum is 2 1/2 and he's about 8 inches but only 3 1/2 pounds. He is a picky eater though. Still working on that:(

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thank you all! Its nice/interesting to hear how amazingly different growth rates can be. All based on genetics, enviroment, diet, and so on. All we can ask for is healthy torts.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Beautiful tortoises. Are you sure of their sexes yet?

Lol NM I just noticed their names. Steve's tail is hanging behind him so I think he's obvious

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
diamondbp said:
Beautiful tortoises. Are you sure of their sexes yet?

Lol NM I just noticed their names. Steve's tail is hanging behind him so I think he's obvious

Well Steve used to be named Stella but its obvious he's a male. Rudy used to be Ruby but I'm fairly sure he's male as well. The name will reflect the sex when we're sure. Haha.

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
Do tortoises with pyramiding tend to weigh more than ones without? I hope mine turns out that handsome.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: New growth record! Plus pics.

JHoward said:
Do tortoises with pyramiding tend to weigh more than ones without? I hope mine turns out that handsome.

In my case, smooth are heavier and feel solid. My pyramided ones feel lighter.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
jacktaylor900 said:
He's pyramided but cool otherwise

Ya I bought these from a pet store when they were around 5-6 months, living in extremely deplorable and inadequate conditons (dry like a desert, lack of heat, lack of proper diet), and the pyramiding cascade was already in full affect. It is so hard to stop that cascade, even though they were raised on wet coc coir, nice warm temps, and high humidity, it was slowed down i think, but couldnt be stopped. Luckily they are healthy and happy and dont care how they look! Lol

JHoward said:

Not sure but thanks!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Nice looking Leos. I wish I had some. If I got all the torts I wanted, I'd have to hire a team to take care of them, cuz I could only handle 3-4 tops!

With your two, you definitely know one is male. Do you know if the other is male too? If not, when do you think you will know?

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
sibi said:
Nice looking Leos. I wish I had some. If I got all the torts I wanted, I'd have to hire a team to take care of them, cuz I could only handle 3-4 tops!

With your two, you definitely know one is male. Do you know if the other is male too? If not, when do you think you will know?

Steve is 2 1/2 and its obvious. Rudy is only 2 and its close to obvious. So i would say most definitely within a year I will know, regarding the smaller and slower growing tort named Rudy.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Nice weight gain! I wish Eros and Gaia would gain more weight since the both, together weigh less then your 1 month growth! :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
They are beautiful. Steve has the two dots on his butt scute (what is that called? dorsal?) which makes me wonder if there is some GPP going on, and it kicked in with your good care when perhaps it was stunted before because of their not good care, and stress at the pet shop. Begs the question, if you will.