New Green House Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Tn
RE: New Green House Progress

You build a ban like that for my little guys and I will supply you with any cold hardy tropical you want lol. We have a fantastic nursery a few hours away. Amazing you can still have a jungle growing in your backyard with an inch of snow of snow on the ground!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

safari_lass1 said:
You build a ban like that for my little guys and I will supply you with any cold hardy tropical you want lol. We have a fantastic nursery a few hours away. Amazing you can still have a jungle growing in your backyard with an inch of snow of snow on the ground!!

:D yep. Snow is pretty rare here but it can get cold. I tested the fans on winter mode last night without heaters running and it worked really well. However we are still very warm. Im the worst, I bought a bunch of bromiliads today:D Its gonna be just like the last 2 I built OVERGROWN and AWESOME.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

safari_lass1 said:
We have a fantastic nursery a few hours away.

Do they have banana trees? No where in this area could I find any of those this year. Didn't find any fig trees either. :( :rolleyes:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Jacqui said:
safari_lass1 said:
We have a fantastic nursery a few hours away.

Do they have banana trees? No where in this area could I find any of those this year. Didn't find any fig trees either. :( :rolleyes:

Oh man banana trees are all over here. I got mine for 8 bucks, its a 12-14' one. Its ashame I have to hack it down in a month or so for it to come back, its all nice and big.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

tortadise said:
Oh man banana trees are all over here. I got mine for 8 bucks, its a 12-14' one. Its ashame I have to hack it down in a month or so for it to come back, its all nice and big.

:p I have mental plans for someday making an extended road trip, just to bring truckloads of plants from TX and AZ and these two other states which will remian unnamed, but have major issues with interstate transportation of plants. :rolleyes: ... and ya I was just kidding about those two other states... :rolleyes: (forum rule: can not speak of illegal activities... so I'm not :rolleyes: ) I even have a few greenhouses/nurseries from my days of trucking already picked out to stop at. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Ummm hmm. Illegal is bad. I know down in houston, they have some sweet nursuries that have nothing but exotics and palms. Its gonna be hard not stopping in and loading up when I head down to Louisiana monday. BUUUUUUUUUUT I did take some measurements of the asian greenhouse and where it will be going. I think I might need somebody to hold me back. Its going to be GARGANTUAN, so I will need some more plants. I am the worst when I have these greenhouses at buying plants. I bought 70 bucks worth of bromiliads at lowes on clearance for 3 bucks a piece. One I have never seen before I dont know what its called either its the coolest plant ever.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I may have to decide that after 20 years I need to go visit my brother down there in TX and check out those nurseries you speak of... of course if I don't go all the way to my brother's that means I will save some money on gas and that would mean more plants!! :D I have looked at bromiliads thinking what fascinating plants they are, but without a workable place for them where cats are banned, I just have never tried them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

They are cool plants. I also found out what plant that is. its a zebra plant. Man oh man theyre cool.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

lynnedit said:
I need to go to Lowe's! This is plant clearance time!

Yep 75% crepe myrtles and all tropicals. I love this time of year especially having a greenhouse. Tropicals will flourish and at a super cheap price.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn

Jacqui said:

I have a bunch of banana trees. I put them in this year, so I would wait until Spring to harvest the pups. But I can send you a few.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

lynnedit said:
I need to go to Lowe's! This is plant clearance time!

Finally our's is having clearance too. Don't tell anybody, but I picked up a bunch more grapes vines. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Oh man. Just now doing the clearance clarance? Psshhhh our came and went. Kinda sad really, but christmas trees have been for sale for the last 2 weeks. halloween hasnt even occured. Materialistic world we live in.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Thanks. Its working very well. The reds and yellows foots are liking the easy to dig soil for egg laying. I am finally happy with the 3rd attempt in greenhouse facility construction.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I'm curious why you didn't opt for clear panels in the roof to allow sun in?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

I tried that on the last one. It got too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. It lights up very well with the big windows on each side. I do plan on adding some sky lights in the spring to help a little more with light during the middle of day.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

DSC01220_zps5fc522f0.jpg

DSC01221_zps2bfbebee.jpg

DSC01222_zpsfb41e1a1.jpg

DSC01223_zps19f54f94.jpg

DSC01224_zps71bdc5e1.jpg

DSC01225_zps0d04411b.jpg

DSC01226_zps206d454b.jpg

DSC01227_zps82ab0d55.jpg

DSC01230_zps56c1f7e2.jpg

DSC01231_zpsb10dcb1a.jpg

DSC01232_zps1208bb6f.jpg

DSC01233_zpsf8d4ab5f.jpg

DSC01234_zps9ff3c708.jpg

20130122_114122_zpsb2662d56.jpg

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

OMG!! Yes, please!!! That is just amazing! I am so glad you bumped this thread to add more pictures because I just read every page. This is just so awesome! Thanks for sharing this journey!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Kelly do you still have some of the shots that use to be in the first post? The ones showing the way the floor looked with just the walk way and stuff (or with the frames for those)? Maybe one with the walls going up? The way it was when you were doing the thread was neat, because it showed enough details that even somebody like me could use it as a base plan. Sorry I keep asking you for more work today. Thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.