New Green House Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well kinda like the other thread with the funding for an aldabra/galapagos exhibit, some of that funding went to a new greenhouse as well. Both slabs are poured for the big boy exhibit, and then heres the new greenhouse foundation.

24x48' with a 3' sidewalk in the middle, leaving 10' deep for each pen. Im going to use landscape timbers to divide the enclosures and space them 1' apart for the tropical plants. I bought a few before construction. I get ahead of myself sometimes, but they were on clearance.

I plan on having the cieling 10', easier to heat. Each long wall will have 3 6'x6' windows, and the short side will have 1 8' door with windows on either side 3'x6'. In my other greenhouses I have used irrigation systems mounted on the cieling to water the entire enclosure, but this time I was thinking of placing it either on the walls to shoot down, or in each of the planter/dividers for each pen. I want good coverage. But I dont like going out of my box that has already worked.

Any suggestions are always welcomed.
And I will keep everyone posted on the progress, same with the other building(it was raining so I didnt make it down to the mud pit for photos)

AND jacqui theres my mom a working:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Thank you! :D

I am really interested in seeing how you do this, as I want to make one. Just worry that our winters will make it very expensive to operate.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Jacqui said:
:D Thank you! :D

I am really interested in seeing how you do this, as I want to make one. Just worry that our winters will make it very expensive to operate.

Basically like the others I have build, its just a waterproof wall setup, thats why I was wondering if maybe I should do in ground sprinklers instead of overhead. But over head works so well, its just like a rain shower. And Im going to attach it to a water heater to boost the humidity in the winter. Im sure the erosa will appreciate that.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Be sure to keep us updated with your progress, this sounds incredible and it looks like you and your mom are off to a great start! Like Jacqui, I'm intrigued to see how you do this.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Im gonna start framing tomorrow if the rain stops :D I will always keep good progress for yah. Same with the aldabra building. Greg is ansty on that ones progess too.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
This looks very cool! Your reptiles are lucky to have such a great owner.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Blake m said:
This looks very cool! Your reptiles are lucky to have such a great owner.

Why thank you. I love giving the best nest possible.

Jacqui said:
tortadise said:
Im sure the erosa will appreciate that.

When did you get Erosa?

Not yet, until its finished. :D I love them I had a huge group of em last year but had to give them up to build this new greenhouse and take down the old one. They were too big to keep inside.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
OK heres some progress I made sunday and a little today. I still have some headers to put at the top of the window openings, But you guys should get the picture. Windows are the big openings :D What so yall think about the stone I plan on using to make the pen walls out of running the length of the sidewalk? I have enough to do 3 stones high, so the photo is just a sample.

:D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Wow, this is looking great! Keep up the good work, I'm excited to see the finished product!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You did say your thinking some Erosa in there? I think a determined Erosa will climb those bricks like they were a staircase to fruit heaven.

BTW, glad your doing all this practice, that way when you come to NE to make mine, you should be an ole pro at it. :cool:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
HAHA. Well I am a superintendent for a GC thats does commercial construction, so Im pretty savey about construction anyways. The stone will be 3 stones high, consisting of two 6" tall stones, and 1 course of 8" tall stones with 1/2" mortar joint, placed on the edge of the sidewalk, Putting it right at 25 1/2" above the enclosure floor to the top of the last course of stone. I know when I had my erosas they were great climbers even at 10" in size, they could scale some stuff. You think higher than that really? Well You know I was thinking of kinda doing sectioning them off anyways to give more of an ease to stabilize their pen than just stabilize the whole thing. They do like it wayyyy darker, and moist than the red/yellow foots, and manouria, and elongated, and forstens, and well I think thats all im putting in there for now. yeah thats about it. Until the next one gets put up :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
WOW, I just saw this thread for the first time. What wonderful work!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ALDABRAMAN said:
WOW, I just saw this thread for the first time. What wonderful work!

Why thank yah greg. This building gets put at the same time the big boy building. Wel the big boy building is still waiting for the concrete to cure. but I should get it framed up this week too. always a positive progress for the sanctuary. :D

Weldd

10 Year Member!
This is looking great! Can't wait to see it finished and full of torts...

Status
Not open for further replies.