New Gift From TortStork

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
So sad, was really hoping all would be good. Maybe ship a regular chicken egg from your frig or if you know someone that has laying hens and see if it gets cracked/pipped during shipping. If not, thrn likely the little guy pipped himself. That would answer the question of l the pipping and that it wasn't too soon, possibly.
Seeing most package handlers are idiots that don't care about the packages they handle, I think you need to come up with something that ensures the egg stay upright. If the tort did pip on its own, then most likely just wasn't going to make it, unless the plane pressure killed it after it piped?
What if it was floated in water with hand warmers around it?

I do think the pressure of the plane played some sort of roll. I just don't know the science behind it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have shipping eggs down. I ship eggs within 48 hours of being laid. They are do fine. Im pretty confident that the egg isn't going to break, especially the way I pack it.

This was a fertile egg. I'm assuming it was due to the egg being upside down. I need to figure how to prevent the box from turning upside down.
I knew you were able to ship eggs with no problems. Which I see now with what I said, that you might think I didn't. So, it's really the age of this one compared to one shipped within 48 hours that needs figuring out? So, it's known that after so many hours, they can't be turned. So that needs to be solved of course. Then it's mainly left to figuring out if it's the pressure of the plane or all the tossing/movement?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I knew you were able to ship eggs with no problems. Which I see now with what I said, that you might think I didn't. So, it's really the age of this one compared to one shipped within 48 hours that needs figuring out? So, it's known that after so many hours, they can't be turned. So that needs to be solved of course. Then it's mainly left to figuring out if it's the pressure of the plane or all the tossing/movement?

Yes. A few variables so it's hard to pinpoint what exactly happened. This is a problem of age though, as you said.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have only ship to the tortoise once, used FedEx. Marked the box correctly did everything meticulously right. Handed the box to the guy and he probably turned it sideways under his arm. So I yelled at him and told him that the box does say live animal and it needs to be upright as the arrows show, that the animal could die if it's turn sideways or upside down. I think he was a little irritated at me but I was mad!
I guess my point is God knows how they treat those boxes. It might say live animals and everything else but I think it's just tossed around.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have only ship to the tortoise once, used FedEx. Marked the box correctly did everything meticulously right. Handed the box to the guy and he probably turned it sideways under his arm. So I yelled at him and told him that the box does say live animal and it needs to be upright as the arrows show, that the animal could die if it's turn sideways or upside down. I think he was a little irritated at me but I was mad!
I guess my point is God knows how they treat those boxes. It might say live animals and everything else but I think it's just tossed around.
Oh I'd bet everything that they are tossed. The sad thing is, you're probably got tossed just because you yelled at him. Something you shouldn't have had to do at all, being it was a proper "live animal" box. It's sad the way packages are handled. Heck, even animals in proper crates don't get a second thought a lot of the time.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Oh I'd bet everything that are tossed. The sad thing is, you're probably got tossed just because you yelled at him. Something you shouldn't have had to do at all, being it was a proper "live animal" box. It's sad the way packages are handled. Heck, even animals in proper crates don't get a second thought a lot of the time.
Well, at least for a few minutes it was held upright and placed in the truck. I think I was just surprised. It was my first time shipping an animal and I was a little stressed.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!

The scene from ace Ventura comes to mind every time the fed ex guy picks up a tortoise.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
The scene from ace Ventura comes to mind every time the fed ex guy picks up a tortoise.
To me, this is almost one of the situations that would require finding out where the drivers and handlers hang out after work to have a beer. Go there, buy them a “Coors Original” and just start casually picking their brains for how they do things at the shop. It might be disturbing to hear things like, “If it says fragile, we toss it!” Or if it says, “Live animal inside, we shake the box until we hear something inside!”
I had a delivery guaranteed before 11:00am. The box was perfectly marked and everything. It was 1:00pm when it arrived to me. The driver apologized very much and made sure I knew that FedEx insurance would cover any loss with their insurance. All was fine with my baby tortoise, but I realized that might be the extent of their concern.
This is where knowing the handlers would be nice. A disguised owner type of thing to get on the inside.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
When my tortoises arrived the FedEx guy was hurridly jogging up my stairs swinging his arms wildly as guys do.
I think there is a mechanism on the outside of a package that could be placed that if it's roughly handled it'll be broken and the mail insurance will pay for it.
I wonder if somebody could find a way to have a 'this side up' mechanism invented to place on the outside of the package for the insurance to cover if triggered.
Maybe there already is one...
Sounds like a pyramid box wood be the only way to go and that wouldn't totally fix the problem.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
All the rough handling that they get, just reinforces my idea that shipping eggs late in the process is probably not a good idea. Even hatchlings can tolerate all that shaking around etc. better than the eggs. I would not ship eggs. At all.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
All the rough handling that they get, just reinforces my idea that shipping eggs late in the process is probably not a good idea. Even hatchlings can tolerate all that shaking around etc. better than the eggs. I would not ship eggs. At all.
I'm with you.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!

It's people like you that give me fuel to succeed. I met a couple of people early on when starting this venture. They were skeptical. You should talk to the people who have successfully hatched their own tortoises. They would probably thank the people who discouraged me, just gave me more energy to make this venture successful. Who knows, maybe one day you'll have a stork drop an egg off at your place, and you'll be a believer as well. .

I'm not going to assume that one bad situation will prevent this from happening at all. A lot of variables occurred with this one. Would love to talk to you live and get more of your thoughts, if you want to call me. Email me and I'll give you my number. [email protected].

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think this is a great idea. If I had know I could even have an early egg shipped I would have done it. Except I would have wanted a leopard. Both early and late shipping is a good idea and would give a lot of people that want to hatch their own the opportunity without having to buy a breeding trio.
Keep working on it and sure hope you can get to the bottom of the late shipping.

I beg the differ he shipped me an egg an it hatched just fine the only difference was my egg was just laid (48hrs old) when shipped. Some people are afraid of trying something new or risky even something never done before but obviously @shellfreak (tortstork) is not. And he has proven success an I am one of them that was successful. I've have never even owned a tortoise or hatched anything in my life. I would do it again in a heartbeat it was one of the greatest experiences I've had ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506364931.563108.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506364943.297799.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506364953.673546.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506364963.695782.jpg

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
It's people like you that give me fuel to succeed. I met a couple of people early on when starting this venture. They were skeptical. You should talk to the people who have successfully hatched their own tortoises. They would probably thank the people who discouraged me, just gave me more energy to make this venture successful. Who knows, maybe one day you'll have a stork drop an egg off at your place, and you'll be a believer as well. .

I'm not going to assume that one bad situation will prevent this from happening at all. A lot of variables occurred with this one. Would love to talk to you live and get more of your thoughts, if you want to call me. Email me and I'll give you my number. [email protected].
I am 100% in favor of your endeavor. You give those who would never have the opportunity the chance to watch a new life begin. Keep up the enthusiasm and hard work. And on a side note, thank you for your support of theTurtleRoom. You have no idea how we appreciate it!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington

I'm just saying that I choose not to do this. If you want to do it go ahead. It's a free country.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I beg the differ he shipped me an egg an it hatched just fine the only difference was my egg was just laid (48hrs old) when shipped. Some people are afraid of trying something new or risky even something never done before but obviously @shellfreak (tortstork) is not. And he has proven success an I am one of them that was successful. I've have never even owned a tortoise or hatched anything in my life. I would do it again in a heartbeat it was one of the greatest experiences I've had View attachment 219326View attachment 219327View attachment 219328View attachment 219329
You can do it if you want to. I choose not to. I think the risk of shipping the eggs later is not worth it. I know that eggs are shipped all the time for baby chicks. But they aren't shipped right before they are supposed to hatch. That is my primary issue with this. But if you want to do it it is your decision.