New Gift From TortStork

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
I've got a surprise on its way from TortStork. This is a test of sorts. The egg is a few days from pipping. If all goes well, Randy @shellfreak , would be able to ensure fertility and not risk the embryo. I have a few photos to show how the egg is packaged and shipped. I'll wait for the little one to hatch to reveal what species it is.

Here is the egg:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505862771.810411.jpg

And the packaging:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505862909.186297.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505862933.048630.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505862944.643429.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505862954.395963.jpg

This little contraption is what will tell me if the box was turned over. It is a tube with a purple liquid at the bottom and a cotton ball at the top. If the cotton is purple when the box arrives, we know the box was turned.:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505863037.918873.jpg

And the box. Hopefully the pleases will be heeded.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505863125.400308.jpg

Will post all progress to this thread. The box arrives tomorrow. Thanks for reading:).

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's awesome stuff . What will we reptile freaks do next ?I know bring back dinosaurs starting with Tyrannosaurus . LoL

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
So curious how this goes. I'd be so nervous about shipping for sure. I think it's smart how you are checking if it's been flipped.

You need to ship it in a gyrobowl, ha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
image.png I always wondered if suspending in the shipping box a bowl like pictured or making a contraption that does the same would work?
Something to think about it this doesn't work out.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Tried that. Two downfalls. If the box moves just a little the device moves around and the eggs gets more movement then it should. Other down fall is that the box ends up being a lot larger then 7x7x6 and shipping costs goes up. I have 11 of these in my office. Bought a dozen. Tried shipping one egg in it and bailed at last minute.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Tried that. Two downfalls. If the box moves just a little the device moves around and the eggs gets more movement then it should. Other down fall is that the box ends up being a lot larger then 7x7x6 and shipping costs goes up. I have 11 of these in my office. Bought a dozen. Tried shipping one egg in it and bailed at last minute.

You have certainly thought it through!

What if you test it with a no good egg and a similar dye test? I'm so curious.

christykindness

5 Year Member
Fallon, NV
I've got a surprise on its way from TortStork. This is a test of sorts. The egg is a few days from pipping. If all goes well, Randy @shellfreak , would be able to ensure fertility and not risk the embryo. I have a few photos to show how the egg is packaged and shipped. I'll wait for the little one to hatch to reveal what species it is.

Here is the egg:

View attachment 218723

And the packaging:

View attachment 218724
View attachment 218725
View attachment 218726
View attachment 218727

This little contraption is what will tell me if the box was turned over. It is a tube with a purple liquid at the bottom and a cotton ball at the top. If the cotton is purple when the box arrives, we know the box was turned.:

View attachment 218728

And the box. Hopefully the pleases will be heeded.

View attachment 218729

Will post all progress to this thread. The box arrives tomorrow. Thanks for reading:).