New Forum Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
would anyone use more off-topic forums for not-tortoise-related talk? ill also post a thread for marginated folks who would like their own forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LOL I just get done writing a post congratulating this forum for allowing us to debate issues and find the post is not allowed, the thread is locked. :D

Josh can we have a debate section? I find these debates are very informative (at least a high percentage of what I learn come from them). If you debate in the section I am asking for, there would still be common courtesy rules. It would not be a total no holds bared area. Just one open for us to debate (argue) our beliefs, why we believe that way, and get some good thoughts going. Folks would of course understand that the section is not going to be as friendly as the rest of the forum. We will no doubt have a few bruised feelings, but that always happens. Folks who have no desire for debating would know not to go into that section.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Redfootedboxturtles said:
Maybe a debate forum. A place where we can debate on any subject. From tortoise care to anything. It would be a good way to develop as a community.

Jacqui , you were to slow. I already requested that a few month ago ;)

I think a debate section would be good.

First of all it would take the debate out of the regular sections. Leaving more room for converstaion and Q & A about tortoises.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Maybe a debate forum. A place where we can debate on any subject. From tortoise care to anything. It would be a good way to develop as a community.

Jacqui , you were to slow. I already requested that a few month ago ;)

I think a debate section would be good.

First of all it would take the debate out of the regular sections. Leaving more room for converstaion and Q & A about tortoises.

Hey slow is good...just look at the torts! :D

I know it was asked for before, I just wanted to bring it up again. Get Josh thinking more about it. We tortoise folks are very emotional and into our animals and yet everything to do with them is a grey area so that debates are always going to be a part of this shelled world. Let's make a positive use of it with a safe zone for our debates. At least give it a try. If we end up being too negative and mean to each other, then close the section down. I just think we need to give it a try. Closing debates often end up with hard feelings and open wounds, though I understand trying to stop the "fighting" part of it.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
would be a great idea to take the "debates" away from the main forums. But I think it has to be structured and done with maturity. Not just 5-10 people rambling off their opinions and another 5-10 people commenting on what they agree or disagree with. It would be great, but could easily become a big mess.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just a "thanks! going out to you Josh for allowing us to try a debating section.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I know this has been mentioned before but we would like to request a breeder/ dealer review section similar to TurtleTimes "Dealer Listings" in the classifieds, and FaunaClassifieds "Board of Inquiry". We have done business with some breeders lately that have been great and are very trustworthy, and would like a section to share that info in. Also, when we were researching breeders, we had to go to other sites to find such info. It seems placing it in the classifieds or a forum of its own makes most sense to us.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Tim and robin, thanks for the feedback. We're currently beta testing that exact feature right now. Expect to see it within the next couple weeks.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
what about an endangered species section? like what is the current news and information on some endangered tortoises/turtles?

i know a lot of people in florida and elsewhere are concerned about the green sea turtle.

also newly developed was the lonely galapagos tortoise george that could soon be a daddy!

also with the relocation projects of the CA desert tortoise with Fort Irwin and the government, and with a lot of them getting "lost" and sick/dead.

stuff like that.

also is there a place where i can get a lot of galapagos tortoise information? i have diet info, but not a lot on habit. there is about a 70% chance i will be getting one soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.